New title - help me find a laptop

Started by Barrister, April 14, 2010, 01:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

If I were to look for a smallish laptop under 2 kg in weight, but with the decent to great performance gaming wise, then what should I get?

V

Barrister

Quote from: Valdemar on April 17, 2010, 07:51:13 AM
If I were to look for a smallish laptop under 2 kg in weight, but with the decent to great performance gaming wise, then what should I get?

V

How much do you want to spend?

To paraphrase a line, the qualities you want in a laptop are light, powerful and cheap.  Pick two.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2010, 12:00:21 PM
Quote from: Valdemar on April 17, 2010, 07:51:13 AM

V

How much do you want to spend?

To paraphrase a line, the qualities you want in a laptop are light, powerful and cheap.  Pick two.

Well I obviously can't afford Mac ;)

No seriously, I'll spend some to get a pwerfull and light, I don't need 15+ inches when I already have external monitors and keyboard if need be. So performance and weight over big scrren and price

V

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2010, 06:24:49 PM
How are Acers - I've never owned one.  Certainly they are cheap.
I had one, I thought it was a better bargain for the price than my previous IBM Thinkpad.

I think Acer laptops are a bit underrated, compared to companies such as Dell.
Not a bad choice, but they might be low on specs for gaming.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Ah well, as for durability, I bought it c.a. 2006 (January of that year I believe), and I've sold it last year to my ex-girlfriend who's still using it and doing whatever she wants with no problem.  Only needed to add 2gb of memory, putting it at 4gb RAM (about 100$) and things got working better.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has at least 4gb ram, and possibility to expand to 8gb.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.