Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld Knowingly Kept Innocent Men at Guantanamo

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2010, 11:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 11, 2010, 01:20:06 PM
Reports I had seen from 2003 onwards were not quite from the "Booshitler" category. :mellow:
Well, if you missed them, you missed them.  Nevertheless, those of us who had legitimate complaints to make about the legality of the Bush Administration's position on Guantanamo's "detainees" had a difficult time making our case because of the  need to distinguish our position from the mere "Booshitler" types.  That many of the detainees were not guilty of being an enemy combatant was known from the start; the problem was distinguishing the nuanced position that  some of the people there were illegal combatants, some were legal combatants, and some were non-combatants from the overwhelming flood of "Bush = Hitler!!!oneoneone" messages flooding the internet and media.

I find it ironic that, had Bush and co simply followed international law instead of working so hard to circumvent it, they could have had pretty much every advantage they sought from opening Gitmo, and would have been forced to forgo the stupid, time-wasting, and expensive jailing of hundreds of men and boys who didn't need the kind of security Gitmo provided.  Keeping them as POWs pending their separation into criminals, POWs, and releasees would have been a lot cheaper and would have given the innocent less inducement to become radicals.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 11, 2010, 02:16:57 AM
Pretty high level guy to go on the record by name.
Apparently Powell's simply saying 'no comment' to the allegations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2010, 03:10:15 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Powell secretly hates George Bush but it's against his person code of conduct to air those grievances in public.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2010, 04:57:19 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Powell secretly hates George Bush but it's against his person code of conduct to air those grievances in public.
I wonder that as well.  Powell seems to have the personality of Boxer from Animal Farm.  Loyal to a fault, even on the way to the glue factory.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2010, 03:10:15 PM

So . . . which way does that cut?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 11, 2010, 03:59:15 AM
Was there a blackout of American media ? These allegations had pretty much been reported at least by 2003, from people on the ground.

Allegations from Mystery Admin Source "x" and some NGO campaigners are one thing, allegations from a fairly high-ranking insider without cover of anonymity are another.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Question:

Is the allegation that

A. Bush/Cheney/Hitler knew that out of this group of some 800 odd prisoners, some were certainly innocent (albeit we don't necessarily know which ones for certain yet), or
B. Bush/Cheney/Hitler knew that particular prisoners were certainly innocent, and decided to keep them locked up anyway?

We did end up releasing a bunch of them - most of them, in fact. So apparently there was some process for sorting them out. Is the complaint that the process was too slow? Or that it was intentionally made to be too slow?

If the latter, why? What was to gain from keeping innocent people in Gitmo, when you end up letting them go anyway? How is that more politically palatable than just letting them go to begin with?

I don't really doubt that Cheney would have no problem leaving innocent people in jail if he thought it was a necessary evil - but I don't see why he would think that in this case.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Not really related: what exactly did Cheney do to have that reputation to be evil?

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 12, 2010, 08:58:39 AM
Not really related: what exactly did Cheney do to have that reputation to be evil?
Evil deeds.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

He once shot a man for snoring to loud.

Or because he thought he was a quail.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 12, 2010, 09:11:40 AM

Well he apologized...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on April 12, 2010, 12:08:49 PM

Well he apologized...

And he was drunk at the time.  If you shoot someone when drunk it doesn't count.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2010, 12:44:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 12, 2010, 12:08:49 PM

Well he apologized...

And he was drunk at the time.  If you shoot someone when drunk it doesn't count.

The victim was drunk?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

garbon

He ran/runs the shadow government.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.