News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sweden and the Great War

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2010, 12:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

While Essen might possibly (although not very possibly) have attacked the Swedish fleet without provocation, I would be surprised if Sweden would go to war over it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2010, 07:05:26 AM
While Essen might possibly (although not very possibly) have attacked the Swedish fleet without provocation, I would be surprised if Sweden would go to war over it.
Wouldn't it depend on how much damage is done? Surely if hundreds of men or more were killed than even Sweden would have had to respond.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2010, 08:39:38 PM
Wouldn't it depend on how much damage is done? Surely if hundreds of men or more were killed than even Sweden would have had to respond.
Wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2010, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2010, 08:39:38 PM
Wrong.
The Swedes had contingency plans to respond to Soviet air attack in the case of an attack in conjunction with a Warsaw Pact offensive against NATO, why would they not respond to an earlier Russian attack. Surely the masses were less wedded to pacifism at that point than they would be after witnessing the devastation of two world wars.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Pat

Militarist sentiment was rife in Sweden at this time, centered around the symbol of the King: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtyard_Crisis

In 1912, when Staaffs liberal governmet didn't pledge enough money in defense spending, a collection among the people was organized to fund the construction of an armoured ship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sverige

The right made a lot of noise in favour of entering the war, as it was already. Sven Hedin wrote an anti-Russian book that sold a million copies (in a country of five million). I find it very unlikely that a Russian attack would not have made Sweden enter the war.

The Brain

Quote from: Pat on April 10, 2010, 12:03:53 PM
Sven Hedin wrote an anti-Russian book that sold a million copies

I have one. It's awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pat

Damn, I need to get one too. 24 SEK on Bokbörsen *buys one*.

Razgovory

Quote from: Pat on April 10, 2010, 12:03:53 PM
Militarist sentiment was rife in Sweden at this time, centered around the symbol of the King: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtyard_Crisis

In 1912, when Staaffs liberal governmet didn't pledge enough money in defense spending, a collection among the people was organized to fund the construction of an armoured ship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sverige

The right made a lot of noise in favour of entering the war, as it was already. Sven Hedin wrote an anti-Russian book that sold a million copies (in a country of five million). I find it very unlikely that a Russian attack would not have made Sweden enter the war.

Well there was a the lack of weapons thing.  Also the whole cowardice thingy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Pat on April 10, 2010, 12:28:45 PM
Damn, I need to get one too. 24 SEK on Bokbörsen *buys one*.

His description of the horrors of foreign occupation are great. So very tame compared to the real horrors of 20th century occupation that were to come.

Neil

Sweden didn't go to war over Norway.  Cowardice was the Swedish national religion.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2010, 06:40:35 PM
Sweden didn't go to war over Norway.  Cowardice was the Swedish national religion.
That can't be compared with an unprovoked attack by a foreign power.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

The Brain

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2010, 12:53:15 AM
Sweden didn't go to war over Norway. 

Would you?
And what about the Russians?

As a noted Swede, we desire your expert opinion. :contract:

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2010, 02:41:33 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2010, 12:53:15 AM
Sweden didn't go to war over Norway. 

Would you?
And what about the Russians?

As a noted Swede, we desire your expert opinion. :contract:

Ah, flattery. You will go far young man.

I have never read in depth about Sweden in WW1. FWIW my impression is that a single major attack would be enough to make Sweden enter the war. If it could be described as only an "incident" though I don't think so.