News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

But that's not really important, I guess.

The point is that the second sentence of the Rule Book, point 4, OR the first sentence of my quote two pages ago is strangely worded if you guys are correct. Again, I am only going on what the text says, nothing else. I find it strange that you can't see my point, but I'll live with that. Now play it the way you want to.

Sigh. Quoting, AGAIN:

QuoteIf multiple enemy stacks are adjacent to the destination
space, one or more naval units (owning player's choice) from each
stack may attempt to intercept as a single stack

Why the "if" when the fact that there are several stacks has no importance whatsoever?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ehrie

Quote from: Delirium on June 16, 2009, 09:39:26 AM
But that's not really important, I guess.

The point is that the second sentence of the Rule Book, point 4, OR the first sentence of my quote two pages ago is strangely worded if you guys are correct. Again, I am only going on what the text says, nothing else. I find it strange that you can't see my point, but I'll live with that. Now play it the way you want to.

No need to be all passive aggressive. I see your point, but you can't escape the glaring word seperatly in the naval interception rules. It's there for a reason. It clarifies every point you're trying to make.

Berkut

OK, if you are talking about teh first sentence, then I still don't see how it is strangely worded.

If multiple enemy stacks are adjacent to the destination
stack may attempt to intercept as a single stack.

It is simply saying that if you have multiple adjacent stacks that can intercept, one or more from each may intercept. The from each is the important clause.

This establishes a couple things:

1. You can intercept from more than one stack.
2. You do not have to intercept with all units from each stack.
3. Each stack intercepts as a group - ie you do not have to roll each individual squadron within a stack separately.

Sorry to belabor this Del, but the other alternative is to spend my time figuring out why my ArrayList of ports is only booking the first port in the list instead of all of them. Bickering with you is more interesting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Why the "if" when the fact that there are several stacks has no importance whatsoever?

To make it clear that you can intercept with more than just one stack.

0 rows returned

ehrie

Sigh. Quoting, AGAIN:

Again, all that is saying is that unlike Land interceptions, once all interceptions are rolled all the stacks fight as a single stack. The next sentence makes that crystal clear.

ehrie

If Tamas decides to intercept and succeeds I have no CCs to play. I gotta go, be back later.

Berkut

Quote from: ehrie on June 16, 2009, 09:47:05 AM
Sigh. Quoting, AGAIN:

Again, all that is saying is that unlike Land interceptions, once all interceptions are rolled all the stacks fight as a single stack. The next sentence makes that crystal clear.

Well, no. Lets not confuse even more stuff. The land battles work the same way, in that you only fight one battle with all intercepting forces.

The only difference is that with land battles, you have to declare all interception attempts ahead of time, then resolve them - you cannot choose to forgo an interception if a previous one failed. I think. It doesn't really come up nearly as often, since the land system is point to point as oposed to area to area in the naval system.

0 rows returned

Tamas

France: Die roll request
Request: 6-sided die x 2

Message from France:
Interception attempt #1, with the 3 squadrons from Rouen

It failed. No more attempts, Ehrie must spend one more CP

ehrie

2/2 Port attack on Rouen. No CCs. Tamas can roll as I don't know if his rowers are any good and some such. :P

Tamas

Request: 6-sided die x 10

Message from France:
English port attack

Oh come one :bleeding: I will lose 2 squadrons

Request: 6-sided die x 7

Message from France:
French port defense

Not bad. Two French and two English squadrons are lost. English fleet returns to the Channel

Berkut

0 rows returned

Tamas

Dammit okay, so I will only attack the English with 3 squadrons:

Playing my home card for 5 OPS:

1/5: place a merc to St. Dizier
2/5: move Henry, 3+5 to Brussels
4/5: build a squadron to Rouen
5/5: all 3 squadrons of mine move to the Channel

Tamas

I'll be back in 20 minutes, ehrie can resolve if he arrives, and then I will send out a file.

Habbaku

You can't build squadrons that have been destroyed in the current turn.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
You can't build squadrons that have been destroyed in the current turn.

Oops  :blush: build a regular to Paris, then instead, but I still attack the English fleet.