News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Delirium on April 22, 2009, 04:13:10 PM
Hmm, it's been a while, does that mean I have 3 or 4 cp left?

Should be 4.

Quote2 / Foul Weather
RESPONSE Play during another power's impulse just after they have announced they are spending CP to move, assault, initiate piracy, conduct a naval move, or start a naval transport. 1 CP is lost. For the rest of the impulse, no land unit of that power may move more than 1 space; assault, piracy, naval moves, and naval transport are prohibited. All effects last only during this power's impulse. May not be used to stop Treachery! event.

Delirium

Okay, I'll send out an explorer and a colony for the remaining 4. No file. England is up.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ehrie

England: Play Card as Operations
#34: 2 / Professional Rowers

Message from England:
Send an Explorer

File coming shortly.

Well I'll either offer a random card draw next turn Mr Popesmith or you can have the Mercs Card now. If you have something else in mind, I'm all ears.

Habbaku

He's not going to grant a divorce for a single card, Ehrie, which is what I've been getting at this whole time.

A divorce's value in CPs averages somewhere near 7.5-8.5, depending on the circumstances on the ground.  I guarantee you Berkut isn't going to take your measly offer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: ehrie on April 22, 2009, 04:41:54 PM
England: Play Card as Operations
#34: 2 / Professional Rowers

Message from England:
Send an Explorer

File coming shortly.

Well I'll either offer a random card draw next turn Mr Popesmith or you can have the Mercs Card now. If you have something else in mind, I'm all ears.

I am not sure I would accept both, to be honest.

IMO, the fair price for a divorce is somewhere around 2 cards. To be honest (and this is Berkut talking, not the Pope) I think granting a divorce is actually rather harmful to the Pope - not just a matter of it being helpful to you, it is actually detrimental to me since it means an earlier English Reformation.

Lets hold off on the discussion until either I need the mercs card (if Tamas actually attacks) or diplo of next turn.

Me and Habs were actually discussing the divorce, and were wondering if in fact it should ever be given - that perhaps the fair price for the Pope is not really worth it to the English.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 06:38:44 PM
Me and Habs were actually discussing the divorce, and were wondering if in fact it should ever be given - that perhaps the fair price for the Pope is not really worth it to the English.

I think you're right that it should never be granted.  It's effectively 5 VP, and there's not really anything England can give to the Pope to make it up.

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on April 22, 2009, 06:42:44 PM
I think you're right that it should never be granted.  It's effectively 5 VP, and there's not really anything England can give to the Pope to make it up.

Well, not exactly, but it is a huge leap towards getting the 5 VPs, and no one wants that.  The French don't want it because the faster The Heir is born, the faster the English are going to sit up and start taking on duties on the continent.  The Habsburgs don't want it for the same reasons, albeit to a lesser extent than the French, since they only have Antwerp to lose.  The Papacy doesn't want it because it virtually eliminates the possibility (no matter how small) of Mary coming to the throne--and Mary coming to the English throne is a gigantic, potentially even game-winning instance for the Papacy.

The Ottomans, naturally, could care less, other than that it means their best ally (France) is likely to be distracted by England at some point if the divorce does go through.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

Speaking of which, France is up.

And I agree, I've seen plenty a (newbie) pope who were all too eager to accept a card for a divorce, not realizing the long-term effects of that deal.

Experienced popes do not make that mistake.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on April 22, 2009, 02:39:11 PM
I don't think he's going to be too concerned about that.   ;)

Boy, there sure are a lot of unenforceable threats in this game...

Well, he did rain on my parade.

Tamas

France: Play Card as Operations
#91: 3 / Ransom

Message from France:
Create a colony

Berkut

Tamas, don't send I file, I will add you colony to my file.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Die roll request

Request: 6-sided die x 4

Message from Papacy:
Playing Liepzig debate for CPs:

2/3: Squadron in Ravenna
3/3: Assault Florence

Florence:

Papacy 2 dice
Indies 2 dice

0 rows returned

ulmont

You emailed around your board instead of the playback, but I've got it.

Berkut

0 rows returned

ulmont

QuoteProtestant  Play Card as Operations  #105: 5 / Treachery

Message from Protestant:
4/5 CP - recruit 4 mercenaries in Mainz.
5/5 CP - Philip, 1+4 move to Trier. 

Protestant  Play Card as Event  #33: 1 / Landsknechts

Message from Protestant:
and, 2 more Protestant mercs appear in Trier.

Philip, 2+6 would like to talk to Chuck about his urban renewal program.  No further cards, and may your dice rolls suck.

I think I've also caught up on the board, since Hapsburgs/English/French sent no file, but have a look.

Del is up to resolve the field battle, but presumably Habs can go if he doesn't really care about the outcome.