And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2009, 02:22:38 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2009, 02:18:11 PM
The average CP value of cards in HIS is something like 2.4 or 2.6 or something, and that's not counting the "inherent" CP value of some of the more powerful events.

2.66 for the cards available on turn 1, excluding home cards.

All the more reason to give 2 mercenaries in exchange.  The Habsburgs and English get a card in the early turns and the Pope gets 6 mercenaries, ensuring that he's going to be under no physical danger for the rest of the game.  Win-win.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2009, 02:22:38 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2009, 02:18:11 PM
The average CP value of cards in HIS is something like 2.4 or 2.6 or something, and that's not counting the "inherent" CP value of some of the more powerful events.

2.66 for the cards available on turn 1, excluding home cards.

And again, as was mentioned, the real value is considerably higher considering that some cards are worth much more than their CP value.

The median card is 3 CPs. That is a colony for either player. They are going to spend cards to get colonies anyway, so obviously the colony is more valuable the more turns it is being used.

I would like a card from each of them next turn. That would be a very agreeable price for everyone involved. It is, at worst a wash for them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 02:26:02 PM
I need to secure another key still to get that next card. So burning this as an event, instead of taking Florence, is certainly much more painful, and hence deserving of a commensurate reward.

Florence alone won't give you another card.  You'd need another key on top of that, unless you're slipping and giving away that you have Andrea Doria or another card to grab Venice.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

0 rows returned

ulmont

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 02:28:55 PM
Lets not quibble.

Just keeping the record straight.  Including the commentary over Florence.   ;)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2009, 02:32:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 02:28:20 PM
The median card is 3 CPs.

Only barely.

Indeed - the card you give up may be only a 1 CP card.

Like I said, a card for card trade is a net plus for you - certainly cannot be a negative, since a card this turn is better than a card next turn when it comes to New World stuff. Which I cannot do, but you can.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 02:38:44 PM

Like I said, a card for card trade is a net plus for you - certainly cannot be a negative, since a card this turn is better than a card next turn when it comes to New World stuff. Which I cannot do, but you can.

You have confused me with ehrie or Delirum.  I am busily prosyletizing in Germany, although extremely ineffectively.

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on April 14, 2009, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2009, 02:38:44 PM

You have confused me with ehrie or Delirum.

That seems entirely possible.

0 rows returned

Berkut

So here is the deal I am offering:

If I do not use this card for CPs, I cannot take Florence this turn, which I would like to do. The two mercs the event gives me are nice, but not that material right now.

So I am asking for a card draw from each of you in return for playing this as an event. This would be a benefit to all of us, I think. Enlightened self interest and all that.

0 rows returned

Delirium

Would you consider an offer of a mercenary next turn and a card on turn 3?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

The Ottomans don't plan on anything major until the Protestants are moderately well-contained.  If the Habsburgs leave a garrison in Vienna to keep me honest, I will stick to building the Death Star and delay Final Victory a bit longer.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

A very wise policy by the Sultan, that makes us appreciate his sense of long-term strategic necessity. On the other hand, the lack of this quality displayed by the French disappoints us. If the French want to hazard the future of Europe on one large field battle outside Metz which would only favour the Protestants there is nothing I can do about it.

I will make sure the Schamallalkad league is played early next turn and then promptly whoop Luther's ass, it's the only thing that can avoid a Protestant early victory. But if you want to aim for second place behind ulmont, then by all means, fight. If not, I welcome the chance for peace.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

White smoke issues and there is a new Pope.

I move fleets to sea and take Metz. England is up.