News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK-US relationship, not so special anymore?

Started by The Larch, March 30, 2010, 10:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2010, 02:05:50 PM
Nixon said it was dead back in the 1970's.

It's alive, in public, when the USA want something, and dead when the USA doesn't; to a lesser extent, the same is true in the other direction as well.

In private it seems to be very real. From what little is on the internet (Wikipedia even!) regarding what Grumbler hinted at, it seems to be alive and well. If you can trust the internet, of course... :tinfoil:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2010, 02:10:41 PM
Will Obama reset it?

Yes.  But instead of a button, he gives an ipod to the Queen so she can listen to all his speeches.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Agelastus

Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2010, 02:21:37 PM
Will Obama reset it?

Yes.  But instead of a button, he gives an ipod to the Queen so she can listen to all his speeches.

Well. that would still be a better gift than DVDs that won't work in Gordon's player...  :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Agelastus on March 30, 2010, 02:27:23 PM
Well. that would still be a better gift than DVDs that won't work in Gordon's player...  :D

Dunno.  I'd rather stare at a blank screen, while trying to play an out of region DVD than have to listen to another Obama speech.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2010, 11:31:02 AM
It surprises me not at all that many British politicians did not understand what was special about the "special relationship" and still don't.  Many US politicians suffer from the same ignorance.

Quote"The UK's relationship should be principally driven by the UK's national interests within individual policy areas. It needs to be characterised by a hard-headed political approach to the relationship and a realistic sense of the UK's limits."
That statement exemplifies the ignorance.  The whole point of the special relationship was that both countries could pursue the principal of national interests while cooperating, because US and UK national interests were so close.

I think this largely remains true, though Britain's relationship with Europe is now more important than its relationship to the US.

The special relationship was always most strongly expressed in ways other than diplomatic, though.  Those ways were highly classified, though (and may still be), and as far as I know are ongoing, so I am not surprised many don't know much about it.  The cooperation of the US and UK in the black world is probably absolutely unique.

Yes.  A convenient leftover from WWII and the Cold War.  The fact is... we need each other.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Richard Hakluyt

One thing I find interesting is that the UK population seems to respond positively to the US Democrats getting the presidency; but, for as long as I can recall, it seems to me that the USA is better disposed towards the UK when the Republicans are in the driving seat  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 30, 2010, 05:57:06 PM
One thing I find interesting is that the UK population seems to respond positively to the US Democrats getting the presidency; but, for as long as I can recall, it seems to me that the USA is better disposed towards the UK when the Republicans are in the driving seat  :hmm:

There's a similar dynamic in Canada.  Everyone seemed to be pulling for Obama, but McCain wasn't the one talking about renegotiating NAFTA...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Palisadoes

I think it was more to do with getting rid of Bush than being pro-Democrat, as such.

Sheilbh

I think it's a bit hit and miss.  Because our relationship is so close I don't think there are deep forces either driving us apart or drawing us together, those things are sorted and we're very, very close indeed.  So the rest is style and to do with the leadership far far more than policy (though they can influence policy).  I don't think you can point out any particular party differences (Clinton was quite anglophilic when Blair was around, Nixon never was; Labour's been historically as much if not more desperate to prove their Atlanticist credentials than the Tories).  It boils down to personalities of leaders I think.

And on foreign policy Parliament doesn't matter :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2010, 02:21:37 PM
Will Obama reset it?

The ipod would be a much better gift, I would think.  You can only press the button once, but you can listen to Obama's speeches over and over and over again.

Sophie Scholl

I saw this in a movie once: Love Actually.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on April 01, 2010, 03:19:29 PM
I saw this in a movie once: Love Actually.

That scene was annoying. A gratuitous "fuck you, America" in a romantic comedy?  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher