follow up to "Multilingual Homes" thread

Started by HVC, April 10, 2009, 01:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Those of you who grew up in a multilingual home, do you plan on teaching your children (future of present) all the languages you speak, or just one? For myself, i don't think i'll be marrying a portuguese girl, so i doubt i'd teach my kids portuguese. Maybe just the curse words :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 10, 2009, 01:08:43 PM
Those of you who grew up in a multilingual home, do you plan on teaching your children (future of present) all the languages you speak, or just one? For myself, i don't think i'll be marrying a portuguese girl, so i doubt i'd teach my kids portuguese. Maybe just the curse words :lol:
I didn't grow up in a multilingual home, but I plan to have my kids watch tv in both english&french, and having them attend english class soon after they start school.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Multilingual Holmes is Sherlock's PC younger brother.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eochaid

I'm native bilingual (French/English) and my wife is pentalingual (Portuguese native/French/English/Spanish/Italian).

I guess we'll end up teachning our kids our three native languages (English and French for me, Portuguese for her). She'll teach him Portuguese and I'll teach him whichever language isn't his main language at school (e.g. French if he's in an anglophone school).

Kevin
It's been a while