News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will the US Declare Economic War on China?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2010, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 29, 2010, 07:22:57 AM
Don't bite the hand of your creditor...

Likewise taking down your biggest customers is a rather bad business decision.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Alcibiades

Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2010, 09:10:07 PM
The US trade deficit exists far more because of oil than because of China.

Source?
Countries Contributing the Most to U.S. Trade Deficit
The list below shows America's deficit amounts for its top 15 trading partners.

China ... US$259.1 billion (up 11.4% from 2006, up 59.9% from 2004)
Japan ... $83.1 billion (down 6.1%, up 10.5%)
Mexico ... $74 billion (up 15.4%, up 64.4%)
Canada ... $65 billion (down 10.7%, down 1%)
Germany ... $44.5 billion (down 6.9%, down 2.8%)
Nigeria ... $28.9 billion (up 12.5%, up 97.3%)
Venezuela ... $28.4 billion (up 0.6%, up 40.4%)
Saudi Arabia ... $24.5 billion (up 1.8%, up 57.3%)
Ireland ... $21.6 billion (up 7.5%, up 12.5%)
Italy ... $20.9 billion (up 3.7%, up 20.4%)
Malaysia ... $20.8 billion (down 13.2%, up 20.4%)
France ... $14.5 billion (up 12.5%, down 36.9%)
South Korea ... $13.6 billion (up 2.5%, down 31.5%)
Taiwan ... $12.7 billion (down 16.7%, down 1.9%)
United Kingdom ... $6.7 billion (down 16.8%, down 36%).
Top Chinese exports to America are computers, accessories, parts and miscellaneous household goods. Japan's leading exports to the U.S. are passenger cars.

Read more at Suite101: US Global Trade Debt by Country: 2007 American Deficit Statistics for Top Import & Export Partners http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/us_global_trade_debt_by_country#ixzz0jZU19AsL

http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/us_global_trade_debt_by_country
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2010, 08:04:55 AM
Considering how each country's success ultimately depends on the success of the other at this juncture this looks like a lose-lose proposition to me.

The seemingly unbreakable interconnection of China (the contender) and the USA (the reigning champion) is one of the best arguments for globalism and free trade ever made. Almost as good a lock this is as MAD was

DisturbedPervert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_trade_of_the_United_States

List of countries the US has a significant surplus with is pretty small.  Biggest is Netherlands with the US having almost a 20 billion surplus in 2008, followed by Hong Kong with 15. 

DGuller

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 29, 2010, 08:19:50 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2010, 09:10:07 PM
The US trade deficit exists far more because of oil than because of China.

Source?
Countries Contributing the Most to U.S. Trade Deficit

Top Chinese exports to America are computers, accessories, parts and miscellaneous household goods. Japan's leading exports to the U.S. are passenger cars.

Read more at Suite101: US Global Trade Debt by Country: 2007 American Deficit Statistics for Top Import & Export Partners http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/us_global_trade_debt_by_country#ixzz0jZU19AsL

And anyway, the real world international trade is not quite what it's like in Victoria.  Even if there is a resource that you got to import, it doesn't have to result in your country being a net importer.  In a floating exchange rate system, the value of the currency changes automatically to counter-act the net trade deficits or surpluses.  Of course, floating exchange mechanism is short-circuited when countries peg their currency to the dollar.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Source?
Common sense.  The US imports more than $13 million barrels of oil per day.  At even as low as $60/barrel, that's $780 million a day, or about $285 billion a year.  At $80 a barrel (more like the price over the last year) it would be $380 billion a year.

(snip)

Your charts showing trade deficits per country shows nothing about why the deficits exist (oil or otherwise).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2010, 11:50:19 AM
QuoteCountries Contributing the Most to U.S. Trade Deficit

And anyway, the real world international trade is not quite what it's like in Victoria.  Even if there is a resource that you got to import, it doesn't have to result in your country being a net importer.  In a floating exchange rate system, the value of the currency changes automatically to counter-act the net trade deficits or surpluses. 
To be fair to Alcibiades, I don't think that he is arguing that real international trade is like it is in Victoria.
QuoteOf course, floating exchange mechanism is short-circuited when countries peg their currency to the dollar.
Yes, but the results can be good for the countries using the dollar when countries peg their rates artificially low, as China apparently has.  Dollar users get much more value for their currency than a float would provide, for as long as the peg lasts.

If the US stopped buying its underwear from China and bought it from Vietnam instead, underwear prices in the US would go up by a coupla percent.  That would be inflationary, and thus bad.  Getting that coupla percent free from China sounds like a great deal as long as the Chinese are dumb enough to continue to subsidize American underwear purchases.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2010, 01:13:38 PM
To be fair to Alcibiades, I don't think that he is arguing that real international trade is like it is in Victoria.
I was concurring with him, so that it was pretty clearly directed at you, as I'm sure you knew.
QuoteYes, but the results can be good for the countries using the dollar when countries peg their rates artificially low, as China apparently has.  Dollar users get much more value for their currency than a float would provide, for as long as the peg lasts.

If the US stopped buying its underwear from China and bought it from Vietnam instead, underwear prices in the US would go up by a coupla percent.  That would be inflationary, and thus bad.  Getting that coupla percent free from China sounds like a great deal as long as the Chinese are dumb enough to continue to subsidize American underwear purchases.
In the short term, it's free money, especially if the economy of the dollar country is functioning normally.  In the long term, this can encourage systemic imbalances.

alfred russel

What throws off the standard analysis is that we are running a zero interest rate policy and still have minimal inflation. In the short term, there is a good argument that if our currency was allowed to depreciate against the yuan it would not result in any measurable domestic inflation and we wouldn't be stuck with the competitive disadvantage of an overvalued currency (either exporters or domestic companies competing with importers).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 29, 2010, 07:22:57 AM
Don't bite the hand of your creditor...

Unless you plan on defaulting on your debt, which I don't think is happening anytime soon.

Quote from: Zanza
So what exactly is Germany's policy that needs to be revised?

That it exports more than the US does, even though it is far smaller. That is annoying.

There is a saying in the US.  If you owe the bank 100,000 dollars the bank owns you.  If you owe the bank 100,000,000 dollars you own the bank.

Anyway, why would we want to have an economic war with China?  What the hell good would that do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2010, 04:40:02 PM
Anyway, why would we want to have an economic war with China?  What the hell good would that do?

It would make me feel better.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers