"Anime is a prime example that two nukes just wasn't enough"

Started by Ed Anger, March 28, 2010, 09:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2010, 10:26:08 AM
Universally hating all anime is just as dumb a viewpoint as universally loving all anime.

I really hate all that western bullshit that "the truth is always in the middle".

The ideology of balance is the ideology of the weak and the fearful.

I, for one, do everything in extremes.

I really hate it when people tell me "All muslims are not bad". Mothefucker, a muslim that is not bad is not a muslim. Islam is an ideology of hatred and supremacy. The only measure of how good or bad a muslim is, is in how much he observes his religion. The more secular, the better.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Like all men who watch the Disney channel are child rapists?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Holy shit, that sounds amazing. Agelastus, have you seen this?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness
QuoteBread is treated as Serious Business in Yakitate Japan, although given the wondrous properties of the hero's own  bread, (including the ability to rearrange the fabric of reality and send people back in time), perhaps this shouldn't be surprising.

* The whole point of the series is hanging lampshades on this trope.
    * Saijou No Meii, by the same author, takes this trope in a completely different direction by applying an over the top Shonen Manga mindset to something that actually is serious, namely Pediatric Surgery.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2010, 11:24:19 PM

QuoteBread is treated as Serious Business in Yakitate Japan, although given the wondrous properties of the hero's own  bread, (including the ability to rearrange the fabric of reality and send people back in time), perhaps this shouldn't be surprising.

* Saijou No Meii, by the same author, takes this trope in a completely different direction by applying an over the top Shonen Manga mindset to something that actually is serious, namely Pediatric Surgery.

Tim/Jimmy, you leave me no choice... :x

I do have some standards. Some. Not many, but some.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 26, 2010, 05:10:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2010, 11:24:19 PM

Tim/Jimmy, you leave me no choice... :x

I do have some standards. Some. Not many, but some.
Come on, as an anime fan how can that description not leave you intrigued?

What are you into anyways? Moe/Furry style shit?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2010, 06:52:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2010, 10:26:08 AM
Universally hating all anime is just as dumb a viewpoint as universally loving all anime.

I really hate all that western bullshit that "the truth is always in the middle".

The ideology of balance is the ideology of the weak and the fearful.

I, for one, do everything in extremes.

I really hate it when people tell me "All muslims are not bad". Mothefucker, a muslim that is not bad is not a muslim. Islam is an ideology of hatred and supremacy. The only measure of how good or bad a muslim is, is in how much he observes his religion. The more secular, the better.
Why stop at muslims? Just hate all people then if you must go to extremes. Or hell. All life. All matter.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2010, 07:12:01 AM
Come on, as an anime fan how can that description not leave you intrigued?

What are you into anyways? Moe/Furry style shit?

It can leave me easily unintrigued. Desperately inappropriate juxtapositions of this type actually show a lack of imagination on the author's part - and the Wikipedia entry is even more uninspiring than your own quoted description (yes, I did check before posting.)

Moe, furry? I can take the occasional catgirl character, as long as it's not the main focus of the anime, but my tastes don't really lie that way - I tend to be fairly eclectic in my tastes.

For example, the series I am really enjoying this season are Ichiban Ushirou no Daimou, and to my surprise as I initially thought it would be awful, B Gata H Kei.

As another example, just looking from where I am posting, I can see the following titles of my DVD collection -

Fafner
Ah My Goddess
Tenjho Tenge
Mystical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Boys Be
My Hime
Yumeria
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV and OVA)
Vandread
Full Metal Panic (1st series and Fumoffu)
Scrapped Princess
Rune Soldier
Scrapped Princess
Stratos 4 (1st series and OVA)
Dual
Ikki Tousen
Last Exile
Maburaho
Elfen Lied
Divergence Eve (1st and 2nd Seasons)
Stellvia
Gundam Seed
Infinite Ryvius
Mahoromatic (I have the Manga too, with the much superior ending)
Angelic Layer
Bubblegum Crisis, Tokyo 2040

They're not on the shelf in any particular order, else Infinite Ryvius would be a lot higher on the list.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Martim Silva

Quote from: Siege

Actually, the origin of that thought is Asian - Prince Siddhartha Gautama (aka Bhudda) was the first to advance the "always seek the middle path" way of life.

Quote from: jimmy olsen
The manga finally updated by the way.

Thank goodness. I guess the editors finally pressed him enought to keep going. It is a zombie series worth reading.

Quote from: Agelastus
As another example, just looking from where I am posting, I can see the following titles of my DVD collection -

Fafner
Ah My Goddess
Tenjho Tenge
Mystical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Boys Be
My Hime
Yumeria
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Vandread
Full Metal Panic (1st series and Fumoffu)
Scrapped Princess
Rune Soldier
Scrapped Princess
Stratos 4 (1st series and OVA)
Dual
Ikki Tousen
Last Exile
Maburaho
Elfen Lied
Divergence Eve (1st and 2nd Seasons)
Stellvia
Gundam Seed
Infinite Ryvius
Mahoromatic (I have the Manga too, with the much superior ending)
Angelic Layer
Bubblegum Crisis, Tokyo 2040

Our tastes seem to be incredibly similar. I'll start downloading the series you recommended today.

When I'm home I'll put up a list of my favourite anime/manga titles to get your opinion on those.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 26, 2010, 07:34:47 AM

It can leave me easily unintrigued. Desperately inappropriate juxtapositions of this type actually show a lack of imagination on the author's part - and the Wikipedia entry is even more uninspiring than your own quoted description (yes, I did check before posting.)

Moe, furry? I can take the occasional catgirl character, as long as it's not the main focus of the anime, but my tastes don't really lie that way - I tend to be fairly eclectic in my tastes.

For example, the series I am really enjoying this season are Ichiban Ushirou no Daimou, and to my surprise as I initially thought it would be awful, B Gata H Kei.

Ah My Goddess (Excellent)
Tenjho Tenge (Why So Serious)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Overrated)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV and OVA) (Really Want to See)
Full Metal Panic (1st series and Fumoffu) (Both Excellent)
Scrapped Princess (Excellent)
Ikki Tousen (Fanservice Ho!)
Last Exile (Excellent)
Elfen Lied (Really Want to See)
Gundam Seed (Overrated)
Bubblegum Crisis, Tokyo 2040 (Good)

They're not on the shelf in any particular order, else Infinite Ryvius would be a lot higher on the list.
Judged

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
Our tastes seem to be incredibly similar. I'll start downloading the series you recommended today.

When I'm home I'll put up a list of my favourite anime/manga titles to get your opinion on those.

Tainted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

I found the 1st episode subbed, but the sound was out of sync. Is the translation of the dub accurate? It's from the 80s so bad voice acting is a given.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen
I found the 1st episode subbed, but the sound was out of sync. Is the translation of the dub accurate? It's from the 80s so bad voice acting is a given.

Check Nyaatorrents for it and get the subbed version, please.

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=search&cat=0_0&filter=0&term=tylor

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2010, 10:50:11 AM

From what I recall, the "official" subs and dubs are virtually identical.

You will enjoy the series though. It is one of my favourites.

And Brain? The thread title even includes the word "anime". Live with it - it's not as if we are "polluting" a normal thread... :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Not all of them are among my favourites. I wasn't kidding that they were just the ones I could see from where I was. I have another two and a half bookcases of DVDs, and enough in piles to fill another bookcase, that I haven't mentioned.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be