University in Texas knuckles under, censors to apease funditards

Started by Faeelin, March 27, 2010, 03:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

We had a thread lambasting Canada recently, so I think it's only fair to provide a balanced view:

QuoteTarleton State president deplores 'gay Jesus' play, but defends student's right to present it

04:29 PM CDT on Friday, March 26, 2010
By BRUCE TOMASO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The president of Tarleton State University said he thinks a play about a gay Christ figure, which a student is presenting this weekend on campus, is "offensive, crude, and irreverent."

Also Online
Tarleton State draws ire for play featuring gay Christ-like figure

Link: Youtube video interview

Download: Read the president's letter
He added, however, that he made no effort to halt the production, because to do so would violate the principle of free expression.

"Like every citizen of the country, the student who chose to direct excerpts from the play enjoys his right to free speech," wrote President F. Dominic Dottavio in a letter published today on the Tarleton State University Web site.

"This right is protected by law even if the speech is offensive to others."

He emphasized, however, that the university did not endorse the decision by student John Otte, 26, to present Corpus Christi as an assignment for an advanced directing class.

The 1998 play, written by Terrence McNally and originally presented in New York City, depicts a gay Christ-like character in modern-day Texas. The Christ figure performs a marriage ceremony for two of his disciples, who are also gay. The play is one of several student-directed productions that will be presented Saturday on the campus of the university, in Stephenville, southwest of Fort Worth.

The performances are for students only. They are not open to the public, or to the news media.

"The play is a project for a class. It is not intended for the public any more than a student's math assignment," Dottavio wrote. He noted that all actors are volunteers, and that no student "who finds the material objectionable" will be forced to attend.

Meanwhile, the student at the center of the controversy told Tarleton journalism student Rachel Dudley and Texan TV News, a campus journalism project, that he did not intend to offend anyone with his selection of the play.

I am both a Christian and gay," Otte said in a video interview. "This play deals with that subject matter, I believe, in a tasteful way. ... I don't believe in a God who hates me for who I am."

He added, "Never did I choose this play to attack Christians. I am one."

He said he disagreed with the widely held view among Stephenville clergy and others that McNally's play is blasphemy.

"I personally don't believe that," Otte said. "I respect those people's feelings that do believe that. I respect your religions."

Dottavio called on those on all sides of the question to behave responsibly.

"My personal reaction is that I see no artistic or redeeming quality in the work," he said. "I believe, as many

have opined, that it is offensive, crude, and irreverent. It is my sense that there are significant numbers

of faculty, staff and students at Tarleton who share my views of the play."

But, he added, "As an educator, I believe the debate should be conducted with civility and respect. That is

exactly what I expect from our Tarleton family and that is what I have seen from the campus community."

Naturally:

QuoteThe four student-directed plays, including "Corpus Christi," scheduled to be performed at Tarleton State University on Saturday, March 27, 2010, have been canceled this evening by the professor. The professor cited safety and security concerns for the students as well as the need to maintain an orderly academic environment as reasons for canceling the plays. The performance of these four class plays will not be rescheduled.

Queequeg

Oddly enough, if the excuse for shutting it down had been "this play is insanely awful", I'd be perfectly fine with it.  As is, seems ridiculous. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Funditards are so powerful they can shut a play down without saying a word.

The Brain

QuoteDottavio called on those on all sides of the question to behave responsibly.

gl
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I wonder why they chose to name a school after "Bloody Ban".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2010, 04:47:31 AM
Texans are big fans of uncalled-for executions. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2010, 07:04:09 PM

I have no idea why you think they did not say a word.

Admiral Yi

Faeelin

Aww, here's the governor's statement:

QuoteSays Dewhurst in a statement: "Every citizen is entitled to the freedom of speech, but no one should have the right to use government funds or institutions to portray acts that are morally reprehensible to the vast majority of Americans."

Yep, there is no sign of fundamentalist Christian influence at play in the state of Texas.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2010, 05:59:48 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on March 29, 2010, 12:39:17 AM
I have no idea why you think they did not say a word.
I have no idea why you have no idea.

I'm curious, how did you understand "safety and security" concerns quoted in the article as the reasons for canceling the play?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2010, 06:31:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2010, 04:47:31 AM
Texans are big fans of uncalled-for executions. :)

Uncalled for?  The crimes of Mel Gibson make my blood boil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on March 29, 2010, 07:27:02 AM
Aww, here's the governor's statement:

QuoteSays Dewhurst in a statement: "Every citizen is entitled to the freedom of speech, but no one should have the right to use government funds or institutions to portray acts that are morally reprehensible to the vast majority of Americans."

Yep, there is no sign of fundamentalist Christian influence at play in the state of Texas.

Dewhurst is one to talk.  The dude is a womanizer of the tallest order...which wouldn't be so bad if that wasn't the only thing he seems to be good at.

Anyway naturally the usual Christian jackasses find offensive anything that implies Jesus doesn't hate gays.  God forbid anybody imply he loves people or something blasphemous like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2010, 07:04:09 PM

Fascinating that the Stephenville Clergy publicly made it be known they considered it blasphemous without saying anything.  Are telepathic clergy common in Iowa?  Over here they tend to be rather vocal in condemning things.

Martinus

I'm just curious how he understood the "safety and security" concerns quoted as a reason for canceling the play, other than as a result of threats of violence/protests from the fundie Christians.

Perhaps the play is so blasphemous, God would hurl a thunderbolt at the university?