U.S. set to make $8 billion from bailing out Citi

Started by jimmy olsen, March 27, 2010, 09:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Apparently it is looking like AIG isn't going to be especially expensive either (losses maybe in the $15 billion range). At the end of the day TARP may be a major success story. (at least the parts that didn't go to auto makers)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 01:10:20 PM
Apparently it is looking like AIG isn't going to be especially expensive either (losses maybe in the $15 billion range). At the end of the day TARP may be a major success story. (at least the parts that didn't go to auto makers)
I think some of it was used for home weatherization and mortgage reduction too.

DGuller

The funny thing about weatherization is that the money could be much better used on the condos that the rich people have, than the old houses that the poor people have.  All of those new shitboxes that were built during the boom are of very shoddy construction when it comes to insulation.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2010, 05:27:32 PM

I think some of it was used for home weatherization and mortgage reduction too.

I thought at least home weatherization was stimulus, but it doesn't matter--both of those programs are failures because very few took advantage of them, and hence not very especially expensive.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Some states haven't renovated a single house yet.

I want to upgrade my kitchen and get a tankless water heater. Can I get some stimulus? I am going to do it anyway, so it's a waste if so...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

There was a discussion of TARP today on NPR.  Some economist said we're going to end up losing half the 80 billion* we put into auto makers.  On top of that we're going to lose all the 190 billion we put into Freddie and Fannie, which as a seperate program from TARP.

I recall the number 40, but I can't remember for sure if that was the half or the whole.  So either we lose 40 of 80 or 20 of 40.