Last remaining critical TV channel falls to Chavez

Started by citizen k, March 25, 2010, 07:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Vricklund on March 26, 2010, 05:16:30 PM
The Venezuelans are screwed. If they remove Chavez they'll just end up getting robbed by the same people that he removed from power.
Yep.  Look what happened to Nicaragua after the Sandanistas.  All kinds of power shifting based on popularity, governments peacefully yielding power to opposition parties... it was a mess.

Better to stick with incompetent corrupt dictators than take your chances with that "democracy" crap shoot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Vricklund

Heh. Venezuela has had democratically elected governments for 50-some years. I don't think throwing a contras group into the mix of drug lords, farc rebels and commie crackpots would help. :)

Agelastus

Quote from: Vricklund on March 26, 2010, 08:32:40 PM
Heh. Venezuela has had democratically elected governments for 50-some years. I don't think throwing a contras group into the mix of drug lords, farc rebels and commie crackpots would help. :)

FARC is a Colombian rebel group, not Venezuelan. And I think you meant Colombia with the drug lords as well.

Are you suggesting that the region is on the verge of returning to the days of Gran Colombia?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Vricklund

Quote from: Agelastus on March 26, 2010, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Vricklund on March 26, 2010, 08:32:40 PM
FARC is a Colombian rebel group, not Venezuelan. And I think you meant Colombia with the drug lords as well.
Nope, I meant Venezuela. :)

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

After the successful war against Colombia I am surprised that any Venezuelans would even want to be critical of Chavez. An opposition TV channel seems a bit unnecessary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.