News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Latest credit card scam

Started by Monoriu, March 23, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Pin won't widely use in the USA for a good long time since the networks make more money when customer sign then when they use a PIN.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valdemar

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2010, 05:57:09 AM
They don't have chip and PIN in half the world yet Mart. Despite having used credit cards in Hong Kong, mainland China and a lot of New Europe, the only place abroad I've had my credit card abused is the good old US of A :bleeding:

You can still have a mobile device that prints a receipt that needs signing at the table, even without using PIN, and PIN can be used on magnetic strip cards too :)

V

starbright

Brazen

Quote from: starbright on March 24, 2010, 08:15:13 AM
Do they tip in HK?
In a UK way, not a US way, i.e. round up the bill or taxi fare etc. or a 10%-ish service charge is automatically added to a bill.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Martinus
Besides, I'm surprised Hong Kong is so backwards - pretty much every credit card accepting restaurant in Poland these days has mobile terminals, so the waiter comes with it to your table and you pay with the card there. And if it doesn't, you always accompany them to wherever the terminal is.

Same thing in Portugal.

Also, even when we had carbon, we'd always follow the waiter - no way would anyone here ever let his/her credit card leave his/her sight.

The Larch

It's very simple, really. No bill before me in the table, no credit card given to the waiter.

Pedrito

Don't understand what all this fuss is about.

I use only banknotes, and spare coins for the tip :oldstyle:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Monoriu

Quote from: starbright on March 24, 2010, 08:15:13 AM
Do they tip in HK?

Not really.  Every restaurant adds 10% to the bill (it's stated in all menus).  Round up to the nearest dollar.  If you are really really happy, add US$1-3.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 24, 2010, 08:43:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus
Besides, I'm surprised Hong Kong is so backwards - pretty much every credit card accepting restaurant in Poland these days has mobile terminals, so the waiter comes with it to your table and you pay with the card there. And if it doesn't, you always accompany them to wherever the terminal is.

Same thing in Portugal.

Also, even when we had carbon, we'd always follow the waiter - no way would anyone here ever let his/her credit card leave his/her sight.

It'll be very odd for anyone to follow the waiter.  I've never seen anyone does it here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on March 23, 2010, 09:34:45 PM
I would NEVER EVER give my card to anyone who didn't actually give me my food unless they gave me an actual bill, which I would read before I gave them my card.  If I somehow ended up at a place where one server was waiting on 10-20 tables at lunchtime and I had to leave 10 minutes ago I suppose it could be possible, but still unlikely.

I think we are at a cultural/lifestyle divide here. :)

Dont know about that.  I have given my credit card to another restaurant employee when I see my server is busy and I am in a hurry to get going. 

Particularly when I am paying for a business lunch.  The last thing I want to do is keep my guest waiting because I want to wait for the bill before giving my credit card.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 05:37:12 AM

You think having to follow waiters isnt backwards?

Monoriu

Police is now saying that there are several cases of temp. restaurant workers stealing cash.  Sometimes the restaurant bill can be really high, and the customers will pay in cash.  The temporary worker gets the cash, which can be many times his monthly salary, and instead of going to the cashier, just runs away. 

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2010, 11:10:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 05:37:12 AM

You think having to follow waiters isnt backwards?

:D

Brazen

Mono's English grammar has suddenly got so bad I'm worried he's been replaced  :(

sbr

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2010, 11:20:23 AM
Mono's English grammar has suddenly got so bad I'm worried he's been replaced  :(

It's the pollution. :yes: