News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 05:08:03 PM
Minsky: now can you say something nice about the Royals?

With advances in technology, I foresee the Royals returning to contention in about 25 years, with a rotation of Greinke1, Greinke2, etc.

Also the fans are very polite.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on April 16, 2010, 05:11:20 PM
Markakis and Jones are nice young players

+ Reimold
+ Pie who made a big step forward last year and is very hot to start this year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 16, 2010, 05:16:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 05:08:03 PM
Minsky: now can you say something nice about the Royals?

With advances in technology, I foresee the Royals returning to contention in about 25 years, with a rotation of Greinke1, Greinke2, etc.

Also the fans are very polite.

:cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2010, 01:18:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2010, 12:44:45 PM
I can understand you likely don't follow the sport, but to not have heard of the team?

They're in the NHL.
Name all the teams in the US soccer league.
Hockey is vastly more popular than soccer in the US so this comparison is flawed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2010, 09:10:48 PM
I can understand you likely don't follow the sport, but to not have heard of the team?

They're in the NHL.
Hockey is vastly more popular than soccer in the US so this comparison is flawed.

I'd guess that the vast majority of people in the US couldn't name either one NHL or one MLS team.

katmai

What if you know the names of all teams in both leagues.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Strix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 16, 2010, 04:54:35 PM
That is ridiculous; the Orioles now have one of the most impressive stockpiles of young talent of any organization.  A decent chunk of it - Tillman, Arietta, Britton, and Josh Bell - is still in the minors, but there is strong potential.  The outfield is one of the best in MLB.  And they have Wieters.

MacPhail is one of the best execs in the game, and the Orioles are light years away from the pre-MacPhail organization.

I have to agree. Camden Yards is a very good looking park and it's outfield is one of the best in terms of quality and appearance. I can't say the same for the people who roam around its confines.

Felix Pie

AB     R      H       HR    RBI    BB     K      SB    CS       OBP   SLG   AVG
532   77   133   13   60   47   135   12   4    .311    .393    .250

Those aren't good stats for a single season. And in his case it's three years plus this season.

Adam Jones

AB     R      H       HR    RBI    BB    K       SB    CS       OBP   SLG   AVG
473   83   131   19   70   36   93   10   4    .335    .457    .277

That was last season, his best season in the majors, and also his 4th. He has racked up some impressive strike out numbers in the minors but other than that an average outfielder at best so far in his career.

Nick Markakis

AB     R       H     HR     RBI    BB     K      SB    CS       OBP   SLG   AVG
637   97   191   23   112   61   112   18   6    .362    .485    .300

This was his best season which was three years ago. A solid outfielder and #3 hitter. He reminds me a little of Mike Greenwell from the Red Sox. Unfortunately, he is no longer a secret, so the rest of the league has stopped pitching to him since he has no protection.

Luke Scott

He has started to put up decent numbers and is averaging over 20+ home runs the last couple years. He strikes out a lot and doesn't seem to get many RBI's. Most likely because of his batting average usually being in the .250's. He is currently DHing which makes him subpar for that position.

Nolan Reimold

He could have a very bright future if his minor league numbers translate well to the Bigs. He appears to have good power, a good eye, and some speed.

Now tell me how this is one of the best outfields in the majors again?

Wieters is a very good prospect but he isn't good enough to carry a team. He'll probably make a good #5 hitter. The Orioles always seem to have good pitching in the minors but they never make it to the Majors. They usually get traded or injured.

Garrett Atkins is their first baseman?!? WTF! He sucked when I watched him play with the Carolina Mudcats. I have no idea how he even got to the majors.

Izturis/Lugo? WTF?!? They have to have someone worth trying in the minors. I'd rather see an A-Ball player come up and struggle than these two bums.

Tejada  :lmfao:

The Orioles have no punch. Opposing pitchers must love when these losers come to town. ERA's go down and K's go up!

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on April 16, 2010, 09:42:45 PM
I'd guess that the vast majority of people in the US couldn't name either one NHL or one MLS team.

I don't think that's true. Anyone who watches primetime network television here will have heard about the Thrashers in a news promo at sometime or other. And they're not even one of the top teams.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2010, 09:10:48 PM

They're in the NHL.

That's a ridiculous assertion. :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2010, 01:39:15 PM
Heck, just name the teams in the MAC and Sun Belt and we'll give you credit for the rest.

The Sun Belt is awesome!

Arkansas State Red Wolves, ULL Ragin Cajuns (this is a good name), ULM Warhawks, UAB Blazers, USF Knights, FL Atl Owls, FL Intl Golden Panthers, WKU Hilltoppers, Troy Trojans, Middle Tennessee State uh....somethings...something blue, North Texas Mean Green (this is also a good name).

The MAC isn't as cool, but still alright.

CMU Chippewas, EMU Eagles, WMU Broncos, Ohio U Bobcats, NIU Huskies, Miami Redhawks, Ball State Cardinals, Buffalo Bulls, Temple Owls, Bowling Green somethings, Akron Zips, Kent State, Toledo Rockets.

Edit:  Doh, USF isn't in the Sun Belt.  Welp.  I think I've got another extra in there too.  UAB?  E2: Yeah, UAB is in C-USA.

Syt

Lucky win by the Bucs. Good game by Duke, but horrible to see how the bullpen pissed it away in the 8th. 2RBIs on walks? Come on! :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

I'd say that probably a vast majority of people in the US are indifferent to the NHL. I am sure they could probably name a few teams.

I follow sports and cannot name a single MLS team. I'd say the Rochester Rhinos but I am not even sure what league they belong in.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Admiral Yi

People who live in cities with MLS franchises can probably name their home team.

I'm not a hockey fan but I know the old, settled franchises.  But I don't bother keeping up with the transfers and expansions.

Ed Anger

I can name one MLS team. The Columbus Crew, mainly because I got free tickets and they purpose built a little midget stadium for them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive