And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball

Started by jimmy olsen, March 10, 2009, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2009, 05:09:59 PM
Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2009, 04:20:02 PM
John Smoltz pitched great for the Cards yesterday, of course the Padres are arely a major-league line-up at the moment.

If Dave Duncan can work his magic on Smoltzy he will add a lot to the Cards bullpen in the playoffs. :yeah:

I don't understand why he didn't do well here. His velocity was decent, 92mph.

God hates the Red Sox.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

The Bosox stubbornly insisted on pitching him against teams other than the San Diego Padres.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
You get your sports news from NPR?   

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: / :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
What do you want me to do, turn it off when they mention anything sports related?

They also had the sports editor for The Nation ( :lol:) on ranting and drooling about the man-chick runner and how evol sports is to women.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2009, 06:31:26 PM
how evol sports is to cheaters.

Fixed!

If only that were true :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

*me smiles wickedly*

Baseball..

SUCKS.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

sbr

Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2009, 04:20:02 PM
John Smoltz pitched great for the Cards yesterday, of course the Padres are arely a major-league line-up at the moment.

If Dave Duncan can work his magic on Smoltzy he will add a lot to the Cards bullpen in the playoffs. :yeah:

First the Cardinal's pitching coach, Dave Duncan is one of, if not the, best in the game.

Second:

http://www.nesn.com/2009/08/cardinals-say-smoltz-was-tipping-pitches-in-boston.html

Cardinals say Smoltz tipped pitches in Boston

John Smoltz makes eight starts in Boston, and he gets lit up in every one. He leaves Beantown with a 2-5 record and 8.32 ERA and sets off for St. Louis. Then, in his first start with the Cardinals, he throws five shutout innings and strikes out nine batters -- including seven in a row -- and he wins.
What was the problem in Boston?
The Cardinals' coaching staff thinks it knows.
It may have been the competition level, and it may have been a slight tweak in his delivery, but most likely, it was the fact that Smoltz was tipping his pitches while he was with the Red Sox, MLB.com reports. The coaches in St. Louis saw him throw a bullpen session on Thursday, they changed his delivery a bit -- from the stretch, in particular -- and poof. Suddenly, Smoltz isn't getting knocked around.
"It's pretty clear he was tipping his pitchers," Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa told MLB.com after Smoltz's start on Sunday.
According to MLB.com, batters were especially successful against the veteran right-hander when there were already runners on base. They had a 63-point higher batting average and a 123-point higher slugging percentage in that situation. Given those numbers, it's not outlandish to say hitters may have known what was coming.
Smoltz was reluctant to admit he may have been tipping -- instead, he said he got his heel closer to the rubber in Sunday's game -- but he said it was a possibility.
"I very well could have been," he told MLB.com. "If you tip your pitches, it's a lot easier to hit in this league."
If only the Red Sox had thought of that.

Third as Minsky pointed out this was his first start in the NL, and more specifically against the Padres.

jimmy olsen

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for the Mets, Johan Santana may be lost for the year. :pinch:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090824&content_id=6596662&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on August 24, 2009, 07:12:12 PM
*me smiles wickedly*

Baseball..

SUCKS.

Self-loathing Latino hates the only sport his people don't suck at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 07:40:36 AM
Self-loathing Latino hates the only sport his people don't suck at.

They seem to do ok at soccer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2009, 08:06:14 AM

Depends on whether you count Brazilians as Latinos. -_-  (Which you shouldn't since Latinos by definition come from Spanish speaking cultures)

I knew somebody was going to bring this up btw.  WTF?  Can't somebody counter troll Jaron without some nitpicking jerk ruining it anymore?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 08:06:56 AM
I knew somebody was going to bring this up btw.  WTF?  Can't somebody counter troll Jaron without some nitpicking jerk ruining it anymore?

You realize where you are, right?  :huh:

Besides, if we didn't pick those nits, they'd just grow up and the forum would be lousy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2009, 08:27:40 AM
You realize where you are, right?  :huh:

:weep:

QuoteBesides, if we didn't pick those nits, they'd just grow up and the forum would be lousy.

Good point.  We are like chimps grooming each other.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2009, 08:06:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2009, 08:06:14 AM

Depends on whether you count Brazilians as Latinos. -_-  (Which you shouldn't since Latinos by definition come from Spanish speaking cultures)
I though Latino was a more encompassing term than Hispanic?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

With the arrival of Nick Green the Red Sox bullpen problems are solved.

1 Karma Chameleon point