The worlds oldest profession just got a bit older

Started by Viking, April 08, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2009, 12:47:39 PM
Male Raptors would kill a large dinosaur, leave its carcass out and wait for a female to approach, with the carcass as a bribe.  Its probably about as old as sex.

Paleontologists have managed to find evidence suggesting that? :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2009, 12:49:19 PMPaleontologists have managed to find evidence suggesting that? :blink:

It is amazing what one can do with only a few partial skeletons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2009, 12:49:19 PM
Male Raptors would kill a large dinosaur, leave its carcass out and wait for a female to approach, with the carcass as a bribe.  Its probably about as old as sex.

Hey, just because PALEONTOLOGISTS tend to do it when *they* are looking for a mate, doesn't mean that the dinosaurs they study did it.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Says who?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Indeed, this seems like something Tim would be an expert on. :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2009, 02:50:06 PM

How many Dinosaurs could a whore service a night?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2009, 02:53:01 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2009, 02:50:06 PM

How many Dinosaurs could a whore service a night?

Dinosaur Whores.

Band name!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

I don't know why it is surprising at all; some of these were huge, mostly solitary creatures whose individual territory would be absolutely huge, facilitating an incredible sense of smell and general hostility to encroachment on turf.  Is it that surprising that one dinosaur would bribe another to venture into new ground, or possibly even to find one?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2009, 04:14:40 PM

I don't know why it is surprising at all; some of these were huge, mostly solitary creatures whose individual territory would be absolutely huge, facilitating an incredible sense of smell and general hostility to encroachment on turf.  Is it that surprising that one dinosaur would bribe another to venture into new ground, or possibly even to find one?
We have plenty of animals now that have vast territories and hate other of their species. They manage to mate just fine without food bribes. Incredible sense of smell works against your theory, as then the males would easily smell a receptive female bordering his territory and venture in. In fact, often in territorial loner animlas the males venture in, not the other way around.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

What in god's name are you smoking, nothing you are typing here makes much sense.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

No matter how hostile, animals manage to mate without food bribes.  Also, I think the relative stupidity of Velociraptor might preclude such advanced behavior.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

I'm just glad this thread wasn't about senior citizen prostitutes.  :x
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2009, 04:14:40 PMI don't know why it is surprising at all; some of these were huge, mostly solitary creatures whose individual territory would be absolutely huge, facilitating an incredible sense of smell and general hostility to encroachment on turf.  Is it that surprising that one dinosaur would bribe another to venture into new ground, or possibly even to find one?

No, it's not surprising.  What's surprising is that there is, as you claim, evidence that this was the case. :rolleyes: