News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

House to vote on health care reform Sunday.

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2010, 07:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2010, 03:28:57 PM
You know, it occurs to me.  Everyone jumped down Dguller's ass for going on about stuff he wasn't an expert on.  This is actually his area of expertise so I think we should all just defer to him on this.
:mellow:  I don't think I have disagreed with a word he has said on this topic since he joined the trifora.

I judge the post, not the poster.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 22, 2010, 03:17:23 PM
The problem of course is that what we call health insurance is in reality pre-paid health care, which is why the costs are so out of control.
How can it be pre-paid when they don't come close to covering costs?

DGuller

You know, it occurs to me.  Everyone jumped down Dguller's ass for going on about stuff he wasn't an expert on.  This is actually his area of expertise so I think we should all just defer to him on this.
Nobody should defer to me on any subject, regardless of my level of expertise in it.  Same goes for everyone else.  You should evaluate my statements based on how well I support them, and not on my level of expertise in the subject.  I would also not call myself a health insurance expert, as I don't work in the health insurance industry.

DGuller

Quote from: citizen k on March 22, 2010, 03:41:02 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 22, 2010, 03:17:23 PM
The problem of course is that what we call health insurance is in reality pre-paid health care, which is why the costs are so out of control.
How can it be pre-paid when they don't come close to covering costs?
The point Hans was making, and it's a very good one, is that insurance should compensate you against unforeseen events.  The events covered by insurance should be random by definition (and also satisfy a couple of other requirements not relevant here).  By the classical definition of insurance, health insurance isn't really insurance, and that's part of the problem.  Insurance doesn't work well when it covers predictable expenses.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2010, 03:41:11 PM
Nobody should defer to me on any subject

10-4
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2010, 03:24:40 PM
[It must be that one time in the year where you chose to parrot just the right posting from just the right blogger.

The "constitutional challenge" bit raised half an eyebrow.  There is no question of effect on interstate commerce here, and that is the only ground on which Commerce Clause challenges have carried in present era.  So the opponents are esssentially banking on the prospect that a conservative Court will buy an untested 9th Amendment argument that could have lots of unexpected ramifications if adopted.  Don't bet the ranch on it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2010, 03:36:53 PM
:mellow:  I don't think I have disagreed with a word he has said on this topic since he joined the trifora.

I judge the post, not the poster.

Whatever. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2010, 03:41:11 PM
Nobody should defer to me on any subject, regardless of my level of expertise in it.  Same goes for everyone else.  You should evaluate my statements based on how well I support them, and not on my level of expertise in the subject.  I would also not call myself a health insurance expert, as I don't work in the health insurance industry.

Whatever :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2010, 03:50:53 PM
[It must be that one time in the year where you chose to parrot just the right posting from just the right blogger.

The "constitutional challenge" bit raised half an eyebrow.  There is no question of effect on interstate commerce here, and that is the only ground on which Commerce Clause challenges have carried in present era.  So the opponents are esssentially banking on the prospect that a conservative Court will buy an untested 9th Amendment argument that could have lots of unexpected ramifications if adopted.  Don't bet the ranch on it.

Did you see Barnett's bit on this? I was a bit surprised he was so certain it's unconstitutional; yea, he's a libertarian, but he's a pretty sharp cookie.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031901470.html

DGuller

I meant to concur only with the actuarial bits.  The situation described by Hans can happen even without the challenge, though, as the mandate is pitifully inadequate. 

With regard to the constitutional challenge, I have heard from health actuaries that they're very doubtful that the mandate would survive it, so that argument is familiar to me as well.  I don't know how well-informed and bias-free their doubt is, though.  There are unfortunately plenty of demented right-wingers in our ranks.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 22, 2010, 02:37:59 PMThere is also mandatory interchangable drug substitution legislation (pharmacists must dispense the generic version if it is labelled as officially "interchangeable" with a brand, and you are prescribed the brand, and the physician does not say "no substitution" - its a bit more complex than that, but that is basically the story). 

That was tried in Germany, too, together with attempts to force doctors on a prescription budget. The thing is that big pharma often has doctors (or a large percentage of them) in their pockets through various means. Not to mention that it can be popular to take an old medication and add a new component which changes it in an almost insignificant way which leads to a new patent and to a drug for which there's no generic yet. Add a marketing campaign that hypes the new version of the drug.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hansmeister

How are you engaging in interstate commerce by not engaging in commerce?  This argument doesn't even pass the laugh test.  Not to mention that the HCR Bill leaves in place the ban on interstate commerce on health insurance.  Where did you get your law degree from, DeVry?

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 22, 2010, 04:14:53 PM
How are you engaging in interstate commerce by not engaging in commerce?  This argument doesn't even pass the laugh test.  Not to mention that the HCR Bill leaves in place the ban on interstate commerce on health insurance.  Where did you get your law degree from, DeVry?

You don't see health care as relating to commerce?

The Minsky Moment

Hans is unaware of the meaning of the term "regulate," I guess.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2010, 04:19:10 PM
Hans is unaware of the meaning of the term "regulate," I guess.
You are dodging his question.  :contract:

Did you, or did you not, get your law degree from DeVry?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!