Australian boy's threat posted on internet causes Minneapolis school lockdown

Started by Syt, March 19, 2010, 11:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

US schools in lockdown after Australian threat

QuoteA vague threat apparently posted from Australia on two social networking sites has led to the lockdown of all schools in the busy midwestern US city of Minneapolis.

Police say city officials received a phone call early on Wednesday alerting them to an online threat that a young man planned to "shoot up" an unspecified school and then kill himself.

US media is reporting that an American teenage boy who lives in Australia may be responsible.

Officials decided to place all schools on a "code yellow" lockdown as a precautionary measure while investigating the validity of the threat.

The lockdown, which affected about 34,000 students at 60 schools in the Minneapolis public school system, meant children were kept in their classrooms while outside visitors were strictly limited.

"We took this very seriously," Minneapolis police spokesman Jesse Garcia told reporters.

"We err on the side of caution," added Minneapolis Public Schools spokesman Stan Alleyne.

"The schools operated as normally as possible but we just had more security."

The unprecedented measure was lifted at the end of the school day and bussing proceeded as normal, school officials said.

Meanwhile, in Minneapolis's twin city of St Paul, the Cretin-Derham Hall Catholic school was also locked down after it received an email notification of the threat.

"It was determined that the source of the threats was the same," St Paul police Paul Schnell told AFP.

"The source of the threat originated out of Australia."

He said authorities were still trying to determine who was responsible for the threat and did not identify the social networking sites involved.

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

BTW, can anyone explain to me the point of a lockdown?  If there is a gunman in one of the rooms, do you really want that room to be locked down?

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2010, 11:25:53 AM
Meanwhile, in Minneapolis's twin city of St Paul, the Cretin-Derham Hall Catholic school was also locked down after it received an email notification of the threat.
1.  Why is a St Paul Catholic school named (partially) after Martinus?
2.  What is this "Derham Hall" with which he shares the name of the school?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

US media is reporting that an American teenage boy who lives in Australia may be responsible.

Only one punishment for this

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2010, 11:40:11 AM
BTW, can anyone explain to me the point of a lockdown?  If there is a gunman in one of the rooms, do you really want that room to be locked down?
My theory has always been that having a lockdown policy and practicing it on occasion reassures parents that the school officials and students will be actively doing something as they are being slaughtered, as opposed to just sitting there waiting for it.

If it ever comes down to it, I am having my kids run like the wind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

And they say technology doesn't make live easier. In my day, one had to call the school about a bomb to shut it down. Now all you have to do is post shit on Facebook. Progress!

DGuller

In my college, paradoxically enough, almost all the bomb threats came during the final exam time.  You'd think that would be the one time during the year where students would be too busy to play around with bombs.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2010, 01:35:21 PM
In my college, paradoxically enough, almost all the bomb threats came during the final exam time.  You'd think that would be the one time during the year where students would be too busy to play around with bombs.
:lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2010, 11:40:11 AM

If there's a threat that seems at all credible, I think the proper thing to do would be to send everyone home.  Why force them to stay there if you have reason to believe that someone is going to shoot the place up?

Jaron

A lockdown is incredibly useful. In any emergency situation, the school will obviously benefit from having knowledge of where all its students and staff are. Both will be far more safe in a locked classroom than "running like the wind" off the campus.

Shame on you, grumbler.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on March 19, 2010, 03:54:53 PM
A lockdown is incredibly useful. In any emergency situation, the school killer will obviously benefit from having knowledge of where all its students and staff are. Both will be far more unsafe in a locked classroom which can easily be broken in to than "running like the wind" off the campus.
FYP.  Read about one of the real heroes of the Virginia Tech Massacre: http://www.virginiatechmassacre.com/liviu-librescu.html

His students fled, and lived.  Had he sent them fleeing earlier, he could have lived as well.  Lesson taken.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2010, 04:41:43 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 19, 2010, 03:54:53 PM
A lockdown is incredibly useful. In any emergency situation, the school killer will obviously benefit from having knowledge of where all its students and staff are. Both will be far more unsafe in a locked classroom which can easily be broken in to than "running like the wind" off the campus.
FYP.  Read about one of the real heroes of the Virginia Tech Massacre: http://www.virginiatechmassacre.com/liviu-librescu.html

His students fled, and lived.  Had he sent them fleeing earlier, he could have lived as well.  Lesson taken.

Jaron's advice reminds me of an old tactical wargame (forgot the name) that used the same CRT for bombarments as for melee, so the best tactic if your forces were being bombarded was to pack as many troops as possible into the area that you expected the shells to land.