News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Bows to Saudi King

Started by derspiess, April 08, 2009, 10:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I, for one, would welcome more BDSM rituals in international relations.

The Minsky Moment

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but it does stick in craw.  He is the head of the most powerful nation on earth. He represents all of us Yanks. A polite little nod-bow would be OK.  But he shouldn't be bending his spine to some feudal autocrat.  He needs to get a little Jefferson into him, pronto.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 08, 2009, 12:02:09 PM
The "left". Hardly. She's an art history prof. Not representative of any actual political bent other than a bent towards social freedom to create or fuck whatever art you like. also she's a windbag. No one cares about her opinions anymore.

Actually she is. She rubs people the wrong way though as she isn't a mindless member of the democratic party and is often critical of her own side.  Also, for a large part of her career she's been more of a cultural critic than just her position as an art history professor.

Oh and as said, I care about her opinions!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fireblade

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 12:17:51 PM
I just wish everybody would shut the fuck up for a few minutes.  Aren't we supposed to wait a bit before the insanity begins all over again?  Yes the left sucks, yes the right sucks.  Everybody is evil and totally corrupt is you believe the shrill bullshit.  I mean is labeling every leader the love child of Darth Vader and Satan really productive?  Is our republic really helped by this childish nonsense?

You're overreacting.

But anyway, I waited 8 long years to be in the opposition & pelt the leader/party in power with spitballs.  Don't deny me this :contract:

It is fun, isn't it? :goodboy:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 08, 2009, 04:35:14 PM
In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but it does stick in craw.  He is the head of the most powerful nation on earth. He represents all of us Yanks. A polite little nod-bow would be OK.  But he shouldn't be bending his spine to some feudal autocrat. He needs to get a little Jefferson into him, pronto.

Sally Hemings has that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2009, 05:51:12 PM
In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but it does stick in craw.  He is the head of the most powerful nation on earth. He represents all of us Yanks. A polite little nod-bow would be OK.  But he shouldn't be bending his spine to some feudal autocrat. He needs to get a little Jefferson into him, pronto.

Sally Hemings has that.
Someone was going to pull that one out. I'm glad you're the one who did it.  :hug:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 10:31:04 AM
Wow I am so very OUTRAGED...oh wait I don't give a shit.

How do you counteract a deeply ingrained perception that you're an arrogant boor ?  You play the humility card.  It doesn't cost anything and might generate some needed goodwill - or at least less animosity.   

The fact that Obama's been playing that card in one form or another during this tour; with the european allies, the Russians and now the Saudies, tells me this is orchestrated.  The same man that won the presidency by being cautious and unassuming might do it again on the world stage.

Why should they fear an overly polite nerd after all ?  So they'll accomodate him here and there when he humbly suggests something...

Naturally this won't please the blowhards, along with many others, but in the end no matter how you get what you want, so long as you get it !

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sheilbh

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter, but it does stick in craw.  He is the head of the most powerful nation on earth. He represents all of us Yanks. A polite little nod-bow would be OK.  But he shouldn't be bending his spine to some feudal autocrat.  He needs to get a little Jefferson into him, pronto.
I agree, it's pretty poor show.

I think he needs a bit more Robespierre, but then, who doesn't?

QuoteActually she is. She rubs people the wrong way though as she isn't a mindless member of the democratic party and is often critical of her own side.  Also, for a large part of her career she's been more of a cultural critic than just her position as an art history professor.
She rubs people up because it works.  She's the cultural theory equivalent of Chris Hitchens.  Someone with an admirable and eye-catching prose style who is, fundamentally, a bit of a dick.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 08, 2009, 05:52:52 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2009, 05:51:12 PM

Sally Hemings has that.
Someone was going to pull that one out. I'm glad you're the one who did it.  :hug:

Thank you.  :blush:

it was the first thing that popped into my mind.  :Embarrass:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 12:17:51 PM
I just wish everybody would shut the fuck up for a few minutes.  Aren't we supposed to wait a bit before the insanity begins all over again?  Yes the left sucks, yes the right sucks.  Everybody is evil and totally corrupt is you believe the shrill bullshit.  I mean is labeling every leader the love child of Darth Vader and Satan really productive?  Is our republic really helped by this childish nonsense?

You're overreacting.

But anyway, I waited 8 long years to be in the opposition & pelt the leader/party in power with spitballs.  Don't deny me this :contract:

Maybe if you had voted for Kerry you could have cut that in half.  But I've always said conservatives are good on offense poor on defense.  I mean compare Ruby Ridge with Oklahoma City.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 08, 2009, 12:02:09 PM
The "left". Hardly. She's an art history prof. Not representative of any actual political bent other than a bent towards social freedom to create or fuck whatever art you like. also she's a windbag. No one cares about her opinions anymore.

Progressive, post-feminist women should care.  That means you.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on April 08, 2009, 05:56:09 PM
How do you counteract a deeply ingrained perception that you're an arrogant boor ?  You play the humility card.  It doesn't cost anything and might generate some needed goodwill - or at least less animosity.   

The fact that Obama's been playing that card in one form or another during this tour; with the european allies, the Russians and now the Saudies, tells me this is orchestrated.  The same man that won the presidency by being cautious and unassuming might do it again on the world stage.

Why should they fear an overly polite nerd after all ?  So they'll accomodate him here and there when he humbly suggests something...

Naturally this won't please the blowhards, along with many others, but in the end no matter how you get what you want, so long as you get it !

G.
I think this is the first time I've heard US policy towards Saudi Arabia described as arrogant.  I thought the standard knock was that we kiss their asses and prop up their corrupt regime.

You're right that humility costs nothing and in the end it doesn't matter how you get it as long as you get it.  But this thread topic is about more than just humility, it's about paying obeisance to a monarch.

Barrister

So I'm wrong - there are people who care about this. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.