The problem with the being against the Death Penalty

Started by Razgovory, March 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2010, 11:49:27 AM
I don't trust government with the power of judicial killing.  I don't trust them with the power to declare war, either, but that's not something you can take away from a single government, so I live with that.
+1
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

An express lane should be put in for executions. And make 'em painful and messy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

I still say that the death penalty should be the standard punishment for murder.  That doesn't mean that all convicted murderers should receive it, just that it should be the norm, not the exception.  I also don't have any problem with requiring a higher standard of proof in order to impose the death penalty beyond that needed to convict.

And executions should be public.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2010, 09:45:15 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 19, 2010, 09:43:00 AM
And then there is the case of the guy who was found guilty of murder after testifying while OD'ing (or at least, so says the doctor, he didn't seem to mind) on Rufies, just to remind you why you are against it in the first place.

(can't find an article in english)

Why would a guy take Rufies?

to deal with the stress of confessing to murder it seems..
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

As I was driving home yesterday I saw a bumper sticker that read "Don't kill on my behalf.  No death penalty."

Made me think that would be a good thing to put in wills: if you're ever murdered you don't want the perp executed.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM
As I was driving home yesterday I saw a bumper sticker that read "Don't kill on my behalf.  No death penalty."

Made me think that would be a good thing to put in wills: if you're ever murdered you don't want the perp executed.

Can I put in my will: all gays will be executed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on March 19, 2010, 05:05:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM

Can I put in my will: all gays will be executed?

It will be: void for public policy. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2010, 03:26:48 PM
I still say that the death penalty should be the standard punishment for murder.  That doesn't mean that all convicted murderers should receive it, just that it should be the norm, not the exception.  I also don't have any problem with requiring a higher standard of proof in order to impose the death penalty beyond that needed to convict.

like this guy here, clearly subject to an upstanding legal process:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/88667567.html

the problem with requiring a higher standard of proof is why?
You don't do that for any other crime.  The verdict is achieved, then the sentence is pronounced according to the crime as reported.  Judges have guidelines from the law and previous trials, i.e. minimum 10 years, max 15 years, etc, etc, but it's not attributed given the opinion of the judge on the strongness of the case.

And assume you do require an higher standard, what will happen then?
A DA wants a conviction, so he'll go for a life sentence instead of a dp case if he doesn't feel he has sufficient evidence, and then the defense will know the case is weak and insists on that during trial, and both parties will be more favorable to plea bargain resulting in lighter sentences.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2010, 05:28:41 PM

like this guy here, clearly subject to an upstanding legal process:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/88667567.html

the problem with requiring a higher standard of proof is why?
You don't do that for any other crime.  The verdict is achieved, then the sentence is pronounced according to the crime as reported.  Judges have guidelines from the law and previous trials, i.e. minimum 10 years, max 15 years, etc, etc, but it's not attributed given the opinion of the judge on the strongness of the case.

And assume you do require an higher standard, what will happen then?
A DA wants a conviction, so he'll go for a life sentence instead of a dp case if he doesn't feel he has sufficient evidence, and then the defense will know the case is weak and insists on that during trial, and both parties will be more favorable to plea bargain resulting in lighter sentences.

Well, to start with, IMO the prosecutor's office shouldn't be making a decision to "go for a life sentence" instead of the death penalty, at least not before a verdict is rendered. 

Neil

A prosecutor has a moral obligation to go for the death penalty, even in cases when the death penalty is not warranted, or in countries where the death penalty is unlawful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Suppose there is a case with enough evidence to convict of premeditated murder beyond a reasonable doubt (the current standard) but not enough to convict according to your new, higher standard.  The result is acquittal?  That doesn't seem right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2010, 09:42:30 PM

Suppose there is a case with enough evidence to convict of premeditated murder beyond a reasonable doubt (the current standard) but not enough to convict according to your new, higher standard.  The result is acquittal?  That doesn't seem right.

Strawman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 19, 2010, 09:42:30 PM

:lol:

Grumbler, aren't you conflating penalty with verdict here and thus misrepresenting what dps has said?

:)

Anyway, although our reasons differ, I know we both oppose the death penalty, so I'm not really trying to pick a fight here. However, I thought some states did set a higher standard of proof for imposing the death penalty over that for imposing a life sentence once conviction has been achieved? I've got Texas in my head for some reason regarding this. :unsure:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017