And we're back!

Main Menu

Mortgage advice deja vu

Started by Malthus, March 18, 2010, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2010, 09:21:39 AM
I converted the garage in my 2nd house into a throneroom/entertainment room. Then sold the damn house within two years. whoops.  :lol:

Did you take a bath on the resale value of the Throne Room of Doom?  ;)

For myself, I'm planning an addition with a library - carved wood shelves and a central skylight. Even if books become obsolete.  :D

I was happy to sell the house for about the same as I paid, considering the imploding market.

And carved bookshelves? snob.  :P
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2010, 12:33:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2010, 09:21:39 AM
I converted the garage in my 2nd house into a throneroom/entertainment room. Then sold the damn house within two years. whoops.  :lol:

Did you take a bath on the resale value of the Throne Room of Doom?  ;)

For myself, I'm planning an addition with a library - carved wood shelves and a central skylight. Even if books become obsolete.  :D

I was happy to sell the house for about the same as I paid, considering the imploding market.

It fits with Malthus's house, actually.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Heh, if having carved bookcases makes me a "snob", what does having a throne of doom make you?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 01:05:50 PM

Heh, if having carved bookcases makes me a "snob", what does having a throne of doom make you?  :D

Thusla Doom.

My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 09:12:39 AMI believe that if you fall below the magic percentage, the bank makes you buy mortgage insurance - a whopping additional fee. Which sucks.

It's not the bank that makes you, it's the government that does so through the CMHC.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 01:05:50 PM

Thusla Doom.

My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
Wrong.  You need a Mountain of Power for that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2010, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 09:12:39 AMI believe that if you fall below the magic percentage, the bank makes you buy mortgage insurance - a whopping additional fee. Which sucks.

It's not the bank that makes you, it's the government that does so through the CMHC.

Yup, not that it makes any difference - you still have to pay.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 04:51:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2010, 04:14:45 PM

Yup, not that it makes any difference - you still have to pay.   ;)

Thankfully since it's a fixed rate mortgage that can only be an issue when the term expires and it comes up to be re-negotiated. ;)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2010, 09:04:18 AM
If both folks using a term understand its definition, what's the harm?  :huh:

I think (???) the point was that Americans and Canadians use the term differently and thus there is a risk of lack of understanding as between the two nationalities.
What the Canadians call a 5 year fix is analytically similar to an American  5/1 ARM, except without any cap on the upward adjustment of the interest rate (i.e it is actually more variable and risky than the American adjustable product).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 19, 2010, 05:22:27 PM

I think (???) the point was that Americans and Canadians use the term differently and thus there is a risk of lack of understanding as between the two nationalities.
What the Canadians call a 5 year fix is analytically similar to an American  5/1 ARM, except without any cap on the upward adjustment of the interest rate (i.e it is actually more variable and risky than the American adjustable product).

Yes, we've established that some time ago.

But what's frustrating is DG 's insistance that the Canadian terminology is 'wrong' or 'misleading'.  It is not. incorrect, it is merely different.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2010, 05:24:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 19, 2010, 05:22:27 PM

But what's frustrating is DG 's insistance that the Canadian terminology is 'wrong' or 'misleading'.  It is not. incorrect, it is merely different.

DG assembled dictonaries in a club in college, and knows what he is talking about

Admiral Yi

No, it's wrong or misleading.  If you have a five year fixed mortgage your house is paid off at the end of five years.  And Canadian 25 year mortgages are not fixed for the life of the loan.  DG said exactly what it is: a series of 5 year fixed loans with 25 year amortization.

Or maybe not.  I suppose you could argue that the word "mortgage" is flexible enough to include a loan that doesn't pay off the entire house.

DGuller

Finally some reinforcements from the sanity brigade.

"Mortgage" and "fixed rate mortgage" are technical terms, and technical terms should really transcend the borders.  If some countries used "meter" to refer to 1 foot, we would have a big problem, even if everyone in that country knew what they were talking about.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2010, 05:38:38 PM

No, it's wrong or misleading.  If you have a five year fixed mortgage your house is paid off at the end of five years.  And Canadian 25 year mortgages are not fixed for the life of the loan.  DG said exactly what it is: a series of 5 year fixed loans with 25 year amortization.

Or maybe not.  I suppose you could argue that the word "mortgage" is flexible enough to include a loan that doesn't pay off the entire house.

In canada it would be incomplete to describe it 'only' as a 5 year fixed mortgage.  It would be called a 5 year term, 25 year amortization, mortgage (which is the standard, and is what I have).

And a mortgage is any loan secured against real estate, so it's quite a bit more flexible than you think. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2010, 05:57:30 PM
In canada it would be incomplete to describe it 'only' as a 5 year fixed mortgage.  It would be called a 5 year term, 25 year amortization, mortgage (which is the standard, and is what I have).

And a mortgage is any loan secured against real estate, so it's quite a bit more flexible than you think.
Then I don't see the problem.  What were you guys arguing about again?