News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The End of Christian America

Started by Eochaid, April 08, 2009, 05:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2009, 07:18:27 AMI mean, look at how (most) people today view Joseph Smith, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones, Charlie Manson, Rev. Moon, and David Koresh.

As enlightened men with beautiful souls?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

My birthday is on Easter this year - I think for the first time.

I think this means I am like Jesus or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I though David Koresh was sorta cool.  :Embarrass:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2009, 08:11:31 AM

eh.... I sort of assumed you already knew that Easter=Jesus tortured to death....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Xmas is about Jesus's birth. Easter is about His martyrdom.

Which makes you wonder - would you want your followers to have their biggest party in the entire year to celebrate the fact that you have been brutally murdered? :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:09:32 AMThe way I see it, no matter how kind, well-meaning and benevolent religious people are, they are bound to be eventually wrong about something, because of the GIGO principle.

Their choices and decisions are informed by a set of data that is simply wrong.

I always get the sense you people mean by 'religious' people you mean fundamentalist Ned Flanders types exclusively.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:13:52 AM

Xmas is about Jesus's birth. Easter is about His martyrdom.

Which makes you wonder - would you want your followers to have their biggest party in the entire year to celebrate the fact that you have been brutally murdered? :unsure:

25 dec is Mithras' birthday. Astronomers put Jesus' birthday at 9 September iirc.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:13:52 AMXmas is about Jesus's birth. Easter is about His martyrdom.

Easter is the biggest party of the year?  Dude we don't even get presents!  Anyway it is better than the Jews celebrating the killing of all the Egyptian babies.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 08:16:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:13:52 AMXmas is about Jesus's birth. Easter is about His martyrdom.

Easter is the biggest party of the year?  Dude we don't even get presents!  Anyway it is better than the Jews celebrating the killing of all the Egyptian babies.

WE GET EGGS. DELICIOUS COLORED EGGS.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2009, 08:15:51 AM25 dec is Mithras' birthday. Astronomers put Jesus' birthday at 9 September iirc.

That is ridiculous.  The Astronomers would have to accept on faith the whole nonsense about the big star thing was based on historical fact.  The entire birth narrative, and any of the stuff about Jesus' youth, is almost certainly completely invented after the fact-if his life entirely was not in fact invented completely after the fact.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:09:32 AMThe way I see it, no matter how kind, well-meaning and benevolent religious people are, they are bound to be eventually wrong about something, because of the GIGO principle.

I always get the sense you people mean by 'religious' people you mean fundamentalist Ned Flanders types exclusively.
Well, they are more obvious about it.

Still, even the most well-meaning religious person has his decisions informed to some extent by religious convictions, some of which are (at least according to me) wrong.

For example, the belief in afterlife makes people more accepting of their shitty existence (rather than willing to improve it). If you think the world is going to end in 50 years, what's the point of preventing the climate change. Etc.

Valmy

Just as Jesus rose from the Dead, Berkut was ejected from the womb!  All hail Berkut!  He has given us life after gestation.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:20:09 AM
If you think the world is going to end in 50 years, what's the point of preventing the climate change. Etc.

My Fiancee has thus far refused to invest in her retirement just in case the Mayans were right about 2012 :bleeding:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 08:21:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 08:20:09 AM
If you think the world is going to end in 50 years, what's the point of preventing the climate change. Etc.

My Fiancee has thus far refused to invest in her retirement just in case the Mayans were right about 2012 :bleeding:

Dude.  :lol:

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 08:15:16 AM

I consider people to be religious who consider believe a substantial part of the mythology of any one religion to be true. Or people who believe that there is a supernatural mover which effects the real world.