News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Composting!

Started by PRC, March 14, 2010, 11:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2010, 11:35:30 PM
I think Timmay would compost quite nicely.

Too many metal parts. He would need to be smelted.

PRC

Quote from: Valdemar on March 15, 2010, 03:25:28 AM
Been a while since I composted, but i do remeber a few things,

A, why don't you build it straight on the ground so that you can drain it into the soil and get fungus and worms from the soil to speed up the process? It will also keep it moist so it doesn't dry up on you
B, you need to get the soil out in the bottom as you fill it, so a trap door or unhinged side would have been good
C, often you need to turn the content over, sort of upside down, not right away, but say once or twice a year.
D, you need a sill of sorts, my granddad used to build one, just a large frame with wiremesh nailed on, so that the soil was sroted from whatever debris was still left (twigs and so)
E, he usually had 3 bins, a "starter" where he dumped this years cutoffs and so, a middle that was slowly decomposing last years cutoffs, and a third, almost soil, where he would drop contents from the second one after the silting, and take soil from. those three alternated ofc, yearly so it fitted with the stage of decomposition.

But nice craftmanship indeed :)

V

Yep, good stuff.

For A. I wanted it raised to help get oxygen into the lower layers and because I was a little worried about the moisture levels in the ground in that area.  Worms can and will be added. 

B.  The front side won't have the high slats like the other side to help with that.  A true opening would have been nicer for sure but it will still be low enough that it shouldn't be to hard to get at, I tested that out to make sure I wouldn't be impeded when shoveling it.

C. Definitely!

D. Really good point, this is what my parents used to do as well... I will have to try to come up with something.

E. Yep, i'm going to add another one to the right of this one when the time comes.

crazy canuck

Good job.

I am lazy and use the black plastic ones from the local lumber store.

Valdemar

I understand you need for oxygen, but I fear raising it that much will mean it dries out? You ought to get oxygen from the sides and possibly turning it over.

Especially if you have many leaves wich tend to be very dry and hard to decompose. Once you have plenty of "wet" debris like flower cuttings and such it might be better.

Oh, and be careful with too much grass, it might ferment instead.. which is NOT a pleasant smell :)

Ofc, I don't know exactly where you live, but if yo have a decent topsoil that ought to give you drainage enough when needed, and moisture enough when not :)

V

Monoriu

Doesn't this set up...stink?  :unsure:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2010, 10:09:36 PM

Depends what you're composting... some stuff decays nicely and breaks right down into the components you need.  Other stuff... not so much.  See above for mention about the fermenting grass.
Experience bij!

PRC

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 16, 2010, 10:15:50 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 16, 2010, 10:09:36 PM

Depends what you're composting... some stuff decays nicely and breaks right down into the components you need.  Other stuff... not so much.  See above for mention about the fermenting grass.

Exactly.  If your ratio of composting ingredients is too high in nitrogen then you will have a stench.  But as it is in this picture it's 55:1 carbon to nitrogen.  I've got lots of nitrogen rich ingredients to add before there will ever be a stench.  The ideal compost ratio of carbon to nitrogen is 27:1.

High nitrogen ingredients are coffee grounds (20:1 carbon to nitrogen), most kitchen food waste (20:1), seaweed (19:1), horseshit (15:1), etc.  The leaves that are in there now are 55:1 carbon to nitrogen. 

So you just need to balance that ratio.. if you get over 35:1 carbon to nitrogen you will start to get a strong smell emanating from the bin.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2010, 10:04:14 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2010, 11:35:30 PM
I think Timmay would compost quite nicely.

Too many metal parts. He would need to be smelted.

Also he's radioactive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017