Uncle Clarence's wife now a teabagger activist

Started by CountDeMoney, March 16, 2010, 05:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2010, 03:25:08 PM
Maybe a legal expert like Misky can justify it, but to me, whenever important cases like "Should police require consent before performing summary executions?" are decided by the 5-4 majority, and you ALWAYS know who the 5 and the 4 are, the credibility of the court is eroded.  How can such decisions be seriously respected as precedent when they're one heartbeat away from being decided completely in reverse?

It's a bit funny, actually. One of my professors made a big name for himself by holding that the Supreme Court never got that out of line with popular opinion. So his entire career has kind of been torn to shreds by Citizens United.

Moreover, after finding out that Thomas officiated at Limbaugh's wedding, I can't take him as anything but a hack.

Malthus

Quote from: Jaron on March 17, 2010, 01:43:57 AM
Hey Malthus, Spiess, et al.

Why not just drop the subterfuge and get the nigger jokes rolling?

I don't know any. If you have some good ones you are dying to tell, please feel free to fire away.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Apparently he clerked in Jefferson City.  He met his wife here.  He seems to have been more radical before he met her though and insisted people called him by his revolutionary name Comandante Big T.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on March 17, 2010, 08:39:17 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2010, 03:25:08 PM
Maybe a legal expert like Misky can justify it, but to me, whenever important cases like "Should police require consent before performing summary executions?" are decided by the 5-4 majority, and you ALWAYS know who the 5 and the 4 are, the credibility of the court is eroded.  How can such decisions be seriously respected as precedent when they're one heartbeat away from being decided completely in reverse?

It's a bit funny, actually. One of my professors made a big name for himself by holding that the Supreme Court never got that out of line with popular opinion. So his entire career has kind of been torn to shreds by Citizens United.

Moreover, after finding out that Thomas officiated at Limbaugh's wedding, I can't take him as anything but a hack.
Surely the court striking down numerous New Deal legislation was rather unpopular, no?

I would say that on the whole, the court's decision are usually not out of the mainstream of popular opinion. Of course, there are exceptions to that, but they are rare.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

What is it that makes you think I'm racist?  I was the one defending Clarence Thomas against Seedy's racist remarks.

And unlike you, who are apparently very comfortable with it, I don't use the n-word.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

If it's any consolation, I think you're a racist as well.  Also I confuse you with DPS.  And sometimes UPS.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2010, 09:43:28 AM
Surely the court striking down numerous New Deal legislation was rather unpopular, no?
Not as much as you think.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2010, 10:31:24 AM
If it's any consolation, I think you're a racist as well.

Do you think I'm sane?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2010, 10:31:24 AM
If it's any consolation, I think you're a racist as well.  Also I confuse you with DPS.  And sometimes UPS.

Why do you think I'm racist?

DPS & I are both from West Virginia, so the accent probably makes us sound alike :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2010, 10:17:31 AM

What is it that makes you think I'm racist?  I was the one defending Clarence Thomas against Seedy's racist remarks.

And unlike you, who are apparently very comfortable with it, I don't use the n-word.

You always call me Paco and ask me for tacos and burritos. You don't treat me like a human being. You treat me like a beast, not a fellow man. When you start opening arguments with Joan with "Bring me a bagel, hooknose" then I will see your violations of my dignity as humor and not racially motivated internet injustices.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

I'm the asshole who asks for taco platters.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 17, 2010, 04:10:08 PM
I'm the asshole who asks for taco platters.  :mad:

No, you're not. I know you're my brown brother, my... hermano. Blood brothers for life!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron