And we're back!

Main Menu

More Caucasus sillytards

Started by Viking, March 13, 2010, 08:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62C1JW20100313

It would be funny if it weren't sad.

TBILISI (Reuters) - Panic gripped Georgia on Saturday when a pro-government television station broadcast a fake report that Russian tanks had entered the capital and President Mikheil Saakashvili had been killed.

World  |  Russia

Imedi TV introduced the report as an "imitation of possible events," but the warning was lost on many viewers as mobile phone networks crashed and residents of Tbilisi rushed into the streets.

The report thrust the ex-Soviet neighbors back to August 2008, when Russia crushed an assault by U.S. ally Georgia on the rebel region of South Ossetia in a five-day war and sent tanks to within 45 km (28 miles) of Tbilisi.

The Georgian Interior Ministry said the report, which did not carry a banner saying it was a hoax, caused "great panic." A cinema in Tbilisi emptied as parents called their children home, a frantic filmgoer said.

Russian Interfax news agency flashed the report on the "alleged" but unconfirmed entry of Russian tanks and death of Saakashvili, and Moscow's Echo Moskvy radio station interrupted its regular programing with the 'news'.

Using archive pictures from the 2008 war, Imedi showed advancing Russian tanks.

Switching to a live talkshow, the anchor apologized for any panic the report had caused, saying: "We just wanted to show what the worst day in Georgian history might look like."

The report was a barely disguised swipe at opponents of Saakashvili who recently met Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in Moscow and called for the countries to restore ties.

Georgy Arveladze, head of Georgia Media Production Holding which owns Imedi, told Reuters the aim was to show the "real threat" of how events might unfold.

Dozens of angry Georgians converged on Imedi, where opposition politician Nino Burjanadze told reporters the stunt was "disgusting."

(Additional reporting by Dmitry Sergeyev in Moscow; Writing by Matt Robinson; editing by Myra MacDonald)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

I'm glad I live in a country where fake journalism doesn't cause wide spread panic.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Quote from: Jaron on March 13, 2010, 10:06:44 PM
I'm glad I live in a country where fake journalism doesn't cause wide spread panic.

^_^
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alexandru H.

No, your country goes insane when they hear on the radio that Martians have landed.

Alexandru H.

Btw, where is the fucking edit button?  :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Alexandru H. on March 14, 2010, 02:44:29 AM
Btw, where is the fucking edit button?  :huh:

The last place you'll look.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: Alexandru H. on March 14, 2010, 02:43:25 AM
No, your country goes insane when they hear on the radio that Martians have landed.

Marcins have invaded? :o
Winner of THE grumbler point.

chipwich

I know I'd be scared if Marcin tried to invade me.

Razgovory

Quote from: chipwich on March 14, 2010, 04:27:02 AM

I bet you could take him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2010, 04:27:53 AM
Quote from: chipwich on March 14, 2010, 04:27:02 AM

I bet you could take him.

Even so chipwich would be scarred for life.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Georgians really do like poking the bear....
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!