News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Slave holding wasps discovered

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2010, 09:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2010, 06:06:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2010, 04:55:09 AM
human ideal???
I just meant how slavery works in human society.

No offense but I don't think that slavery works.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Better described as a specialized form of parasitism.

[Edit: resonse to the OP. Not Garbon.  ;) ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2010, 01:16:32 PM
I think you are racist.

:huh:

Most slave holding societies throughout human history did not operate on a racial basis.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Disgusting Tim. Absolutely Abdominable.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Malthus
Better described as a specialized form of parasitism.

Yes, and there is another species of wasp that does something similar to tarantulas. They attack the tarantula, immobilize it with a special poison, then drag it into a hole in the ground and lay their egg on the tarantula. The new wasp matures while eating the tarantula - which remains alive and conscient (just paralyzed) during the whole process.

On a related note, I love wasps and hate bees. Never understood why, but I do love those strong killer insects. They, along with ants, are the only insects I can see close ups of without feeling repulsed by their looks (I actually find wasps pretty).

Somehow, this seems to affect the wasps, too. When I was a kid I was the only one who stayed in the garden when the big wasps appeared (everyone else fled back to the main house and locked everything) and I liked to look very closely at them, how they checked things so thouroughly... they never did anything to me.

It is also one of the reasons why I got my apartment so cheap: a large nest of wasps the size of thumbs existed nearby, and they were everywhere, scaring all buyers. I loved the cuties, so I got the place. They never, ever, harmed me in any way, and sometimes even kept me company while I ate (did you know that wasps just *love* tuna?).

Unfortunately, the same could not be said of the people who visited me, who got stung within five minutes of arriving  :( . Wasps can be very assertive. I really like that side of them  :D

This meant I did not get many visitors until after the nest moved on, about one year later.

I do miss them. Their humming was relaxing, and they did kept all other insects at bay. Best bug repellent evah.