New server

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 07, 2010, 10:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 18, 2010, 01:00:29 PM
Cool.  How OS are you using?

QuoteWith the release of Ubuntu 10.04, the next long-term support release, just six weeks away I'm going to wait to put this box into production.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 19, 2010, 07:12:49 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 18, 2010, 01:00:29 PM
Cool.  How OS are you using?

QuoteWith the release of Ubuntu 10.04, the next long-term support release, just six weeks away I'm going to wait to put this box into production.
Sorry. Like I said, I was sleepy.  Daylight savings time = poor sleep adjustment.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Vricklund on March 19, 2010, 01:27:00 AM
You're a bigger man than me. Not sure I could wait that long. :) I want something new to tinker with too. :cry:

I have some old celeron processors & 478 socket mobos I could send you, along with some 100mhz ram :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2010, 10:00:45 AM
I built a home server using this mobo/CPU combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135247

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what the dual-core/hyper-threaded Atom can do.  I used the same RAM you have listed, and actually bought that case not realizing it was ITX (it was a steal at $29 w/ free shipping so I'm keeping it for a future ITX project). 

The RAM does what it's supposed to do, and the case is tiny & rather well made.  The way you fit the hard drive is a bit odd but I guess it works.  Only thing I don't like about the case is how it says "Compact Disc" on the flip-down cover for the optical drive.  It can probably be removed easily enough.

At any rate, the build is right up my alley: small & cheap :)

OK, I'm having issues with this board...

Its only recognizing 3300MB out of the 4GB I put in it.  On top of that, it has the memory clocked at 177MHz (:blink:) instead of 266MHz.  Did you run into anything like this?

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 20, 2010, 12:03:04 PM
OK, I'm having issues with this board...

Its only recognizing 3300MB out of the 4GB I put in it.  On top of that, it has the memory clocked at 177MHz (:blink:) instead of 266MHz.  Did you run into anything like this?

The ECS 945GCD-M?  I think I read that the memory controller is only 32-bit even though the processor supports x64.  Can't remember where I read it; maybe it was in a Newegg review.

I only went with 2GB RAM for my WHS build, and I never checked to see how the speed appeared in the BIOS (will do that when I get a chance). 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vricklund

Quote from: derspiess on March 19, 2010, 08:56:33 AM
Quote from: Vricklund on March 19, 2010, 01:27:00 AM
You're a bigger man than me. Not sure I could wait that long. :) I want something new to tinker with too. :cry:

I have some old celeron processors & 478 socket mobos I could send you, along with some 100mhz ram :P
Heh, thanks for the offer but I'm not that desperate yet. :)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2010, 08:25:43 PM
The ECS 945GCD-M?  I think I read that the memory controller is only 32-bit even though the processor supports x64.  Can't remember where I read it; maybe it was in a Newegg review.

I only went with 2GB RAM for my WHS build, and I never checked to see how the speed appeared in the BIOS (will do that when I get a chance).

My poking around on the internet gave me similar indications.  I haven't seen an explanation for the reduced memory clock though.  I'm going to try pulling a DIMM out and see if the clock goes up.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 21, 2010, 07:40:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2010, 08:25:43 PM

My poking around on the internet gave me similar indications.  I haven't seen an explanation for the reduced memory clock though.  I'm going to try pulling a DIMM out and see if the clock goes up.

Okay, stupid question.  How do you know what speed your RAM is running?  I poked through the BIOS but couldn't find it anywhere.  I'm using a 2GB stick of DDR2 800 so I'm sure it's running slower than that, regardless.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2010, 09:56:36 PM
Okay, stupid question.  How do you know what speed your RAM is running?  I poked through the BIOS but couldn't find it anywhere.  I'm using a 2GB stick of DDR2 800 so I'm sure it's running slower than that, regardless.

I got it from memtest.  Its possible, since I used version 2.11, that memtest didn't properly detect the RAM speed.  I seem to remember seeing the proper speed when I ran it on the new server, though.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 23, 2010, 07:32:38 AM
I got it from memtest.  Its possible, since I used version 2.11, that memtest didn't properly detect the RAM speed.  I seem to remember seeing the proper speed when I ran it on the new server, though.

I downloaded 3.5 last night & will try it out tonight.  I'm going to install a spare TV tuner card in mine and see how it runs Orb.  I have PlayOn running on it, to stream Hulu & whatnot to my Xbox 360 and it does okay.  Hopefully Orb doesn't tax it too much.

derspiess

Okay, I ran memtest & only get 177mhz as well, instead of the 200mhz I should be getting.  I didn't see anything in the BIOS to manually adjust the memory clock-- did you?

Good news is that it ran for 6 hours with no errors.

edit: duh, I found it, but it only lets me select between 400mhz or 533mhz.  Selecting 400mhz drops me down to 133mhz in memtest, and selecting 533mhz brings me right back to 177.  Didn't really mess with the other settings; not sure what the timing should be.