News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did America become so partisan?

Started by Sheilbh, April 07, 2009, 06:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

You have to give Serpentor credit for how they made him out of the DNA of the world's greatest evil masterminds though. After he was created, he turned out to be a douche. But the series of events leading up to it was pretty awesome.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

No one ever does a "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors" hijack.  :(

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ancient Demon on April 09, 2009, 08:18:35 PM
Why all this hating on Serpentor?

Because Timmay and people of his ilk would like it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

It general it is the baby boomers fault.  The reason that polarization is happening so quickly with Obama is that he has decided to govern from the extreme from the get-go.

When obama was elected I was worried that he would effectively steal ideas from the right in order to split a demoralized and split GOP and build a lasting Democratic majority.  Luckily he already pissed that away, has served as a unifying force on the right and driven independents back to the GOP.  Way to go, Obamateur!  The GOP is now set to regain control of the House and to weaken the Dems hold on the Senate in 2010, and he'll have a hard time getting reelected in '12 unless he sharply changes course the way Bill Clinton did in '95-'96.  But I don't see that happening with Obama who is too arrogant and ideological to ditch the far left for the center.

The Dems will probably find themselves in 2013 where the GOP is today.  the question will be if the GOP will learn not to overreach the way the Dems have now?

Jos Theelen

30 years ago there were less media. These days there are much more media, like internet. So people can pick the media that show their own opinion, not the opinion of the other side. That means that people who didn't vote for Obama, now get the news of media, who don't like Obama.

Caliga

In any case, I laugh when people say "OMG the GOP is dead!" or "OMG the Dems are dead!"  Whenever one party gets too powerful, they do alot of idiotic partisan shit and piss off the center, and the pendulum swings back.  As long as we have this two-party system, it'll always be that way.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 07:32:21 AM
In any case, I laugh when people say "OMG the GOP is dead!" or "OMG the Dems are dead!"  Whenever one party gets too powerful, they do alot of idiotic partisan shit and piss off the center, and the pendulum swings back.  As long as we have this two-party system, it'll always be that way.
Yeah, agreed on that. Didn't the Dems feel they were in similar trouble after losing two elections to Bush, or after losing the Congress to the Repubs during the Clinton admin? I seem to recall much introspection and worry after the Bush elections. Also recall how the Repubs over stepped and the Dems regained power. And I think that now the Dems may be over stepping far greater than the Repubs ever did, so we'll see how it all goes. Still very early yet.