Main Menu

Irregular Webcomics - Star Wars

Started by viper37, March 13, 2010, 01:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2010, 06:29:07 AM
I lol'd

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/386.html

Though as a serious response, surely the planet relies on food produced locally in arcologies.

EDIT: And he deals with all of my objections in other strips. :XD:
Why would it be unreasonable to expect 80,000 cargo ships a day arriving at Coruscant with 2.5 cubic kilometres of cargo space each?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on March 16, 2010, 08:03:39 PM
Why would it be unreasonable to expect 80,000 cargo ships a day arriving at Coruscant with 2.5 cubic kilometres of cargo space each?
Those kinds of numbers are pure fantasy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2010, 08:24:02 PM
Fortunately, we're discussing Star Wars, which is a pure fantasy. :smarty:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Cripes; let science fiction be science fiction.  It's better than Dune's "Imperium of a Million Worlds."  And besides, if we assume Coruscant to be a planet that's at least 95 percent covered by artificial structures of at least 20 or 30 floors, wouldn't the numbers for the building materials be pure fantasy as well?  Oh, and let's not forget that the novel canon sets up a Super Star Destroyer being built under the surface of all that, as well.  And somehow, there's still room for an asteroid-size "garbage-eating creature" that forms the nexus of Coruscant's sewer system.
Experience bij!

Agelastus

From a civilisation that covers ninety percent of a Galaxy?

My problem with the figure is the difficulty of cargo transfer. I'd expect that a ring of orbital elevators would need to exist around Coruscant's equator for bulk cargo transfer, but I've never seen a representation of the planet with even one orbital elevator.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on March 17, 2010, 02:47:46 AM

My problem with the figure is the difficulty of cargo transfer. I'd expect that a ring of orbital elevators would need to exist around Coruscant's equator for bulk cargo transfer, but I've never seen a representation of the planet with even one orbital elevator.
Then again, orbital elevators are invisible from a distance, due to their small size.  And for a society that has mastered gravity to some extent, they probably aren't even necessary.  You could just have enormous landing fields and modular cargo bays.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2010, 05:59:11 AM

Then again, orbital elevators are invisible from a distance, due to their small size.  And for a society that has mastered gravity to some extent, they probably aren't even necessary.  You could just have enormous landing fields and modular cargo bays.

The size those towers would be after at least 50000 years of development? They'd be huge. In fact, I could quite easily see there being a complete ring structure at the Equator connected to multiple towers/elevators. You might just be able to handle 80000 ships a day that way.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on March 17, 2010, 06:22:48 AM
The size those towers would be after at least 50000 years of development? They'd be huge. In fact, I could quite easily see there being a complete ring structure at the Equator connected to multiple towers/elevators. You might just be able to handle 80000 ships a day that way.
Huge compared to what?

At any rate, why bother with the elevators at all?  They'd be a hazard.

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 16, 2010, 10:22:23 PM
Cripes; let science fiction be science fiction.
Lots of you Star Wars geeks don't do humor, do you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2010, 10:40:34 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2010, 05:09:41 PM
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612

That's the best web comic about roleplaying I ever saw.

That one's classic, yes.
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html This one is by half the team that did that strip.  Playing in a D20 Star Wars campaign right now, I'm looking forward to reading it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 16, 2010, 10:22:23 PM
Oh, and let's not forget that the novel canon sets up a Super Star Destroyer being built under the surface of all that, as well.  And somehow, there's still room for an asteroid-size "garbage-eating creature" that forms the nexus of Coruscant's sewer system.
wich one was that?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

they don't really control 90% of the galaxy.  Closer to 60%.
http://www.la-star.com/p/pics/star-francaise/star-wars-galaxy-map1.jpg
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2010, 06:41:16 PM
they don't really control 90% of the galaxy.  Closer to 60%.
http://www.la-star.com/p/pics/star-francaise/star-wars-galaxy-map1.jpg

The maps vary - more complex ones like that one seem to show a vast chunk of the Galaxy as the "Unknown Regions" but look at some of the small maps in the Yuuzhan Vong books and you see a much smaller slice of territory demarcated as the Unknown Regions.

Still, I'll give you that 90% may have been an exagerration; 80% then?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be