ATF Seizes Airsoft Guns - Reason: 'Could be Converted Into Machine Guns'

Started by Malthus, March 12, 2010, 01:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/ATF-seizes-30-toy-guns-infuriating-local-business/vUVs2QUCAUuZWeRrqgIQaA.cspx

QuoteThe Martins said they buy their stock from Taiwan because the merchandise is less expensive. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized a shipment of 30 in October. That shipment is worth around $12,000 and the ATF is promising to destroy the entire shipment. 

Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

This story seems too absurd to be real. You can't convert an Airsoft gun into a real one, other than by replacing all of the inner bits.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Someone probably messed up and thought they were real guns, and instead of admitting it they're just stickin to this story.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on March 12, 2010, 01:51:18 PM
Someone probably messed up and thought they were real guns, and instead of admitting it they're just stickin to this story.

Heh, undoubtedly; but I'm amazed that they can't come up with a better reason. This one makes them sound like even worse fools than simply admitting their mistake.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

There is a real, non-absurd issue with this.  You're supposed to have orange tips on the toy guns imported to US, to avoid them being confused with real guns.  The Taiwan toy guns didn't have this.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2010, 02:28:18 PM
There is a real, non-absurd issue with this.  You're supposed to have orange tips on the toy guns imported to US, to avoid them being confused with real guns.  The Taiwan toy guns didn't have this.

And this is not the first shipment this company has received that did not have orange tips.  Last paragraph of the OP

QuoteThe Martins said they've received shipments before from Taiwan that were missing the orange tips and were simply asked by customs agents to drive up to Tacoma and paint the tips orange themselves. They are wondering why it is an issue now.

If they came out and said that is why they seized the guns I would be fine with that, especailly as we don't know how many times they have had it happen.  The stated reason for the seizure is absurd.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2010, 02:28:18 PM

Yup, and a much better excuse would have been "interpretive statement XY-2301 now clearly states that there is a zero-tolerance policy on missing orange tips" or something like that.

Josquius

'They could be converted into machine guns!!!11' makes better news though.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

Quote from: Malthus on March 12, 2010, 01:41:37 PM
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/ATF-seizes-30-toy-guns-infuriating-local-business/vUVs2QUCAUuZWeRrqgIQaA.cspx

QuoteThe Martins said they buy their stock from Taiwan because the merchandise is less expensive. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized a shipment of 30 in October. That shipment is worth around $12,000 and the ATF is promising to destroy the entire shipment. 

Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

This story seems too absurd to be real. You can't convert an Airsoft gun into a real one, other than by replacing all of the inner bits.

And the plastic receiver and barrel. In fact I can't see what of the original would remain at all.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Grey Fox

Canadian custom usually will let complete airsoft gun in but not separate parts. I don't know why.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2010, 04:04:18 PM
Canadian custom usually will let complete airsoft gun in but not separate parts. I don't know why.

Because many "full-metal" airsoft guns are 1-1 size and bolt configuration with their real counterparts.  Certain brands (not naming names to protect the ididoth) could be retrofitted into the real deal just by swapping the lower receiver.

Also, orange tips are typically a huge sticking point.  Another (nameless) brand actually has the orange tips removable; regardless to say, a certain former forumite friend of mine takes them off whenever possible.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Removable orange tips?  Isn't it like easy-open child-proof caps?

Jaron

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 12, 2010, 04:13:26 PM

Because many "full-metal" airsoft guns are 1-1 size and bolt configuration with their real counterparts.  Certain brands (not naming names to protect the ididoth) could be retrofitted into the real deal just by swapping the lower receiver.

Also, orange tips are typically a huge sticking point.  Another (nameless) brand actually has the orange tips removable; regardless to say, a certain former forumite friend of mine takes them off whenever possible.

Kain :o
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2010, 04:21:43 PM
Removable orange tips?  Isn't it like easy-open child-proof caps?

Yes, it is.  The tips in question are add-on; they just slide right into (and out of) the barrel opening.  Kain thinks they were supposed to be epoxied, but I think they were just added as an afterthought and that that level of planning didn't really go into it.

It really doesn't mess with the operation of the gun, though, since full-metal airsoft guns use a smaller "inner barrel" running inside the full-size barrel.  Hence why swapping the lower receiver works.
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 12, 2010, 04:13:26 PM

How would that work? surely the "full metal" Airsoft guns don't come with barrels & other bits designed to withstand the actual pressures of a working firearm? I'd have thought that retrofitting would result in the user getting a face full of exploding bits of toy as like as not, even if theoretically possible.