Kumar without Harold goes to the White Cast...er House

Started by katmai, April 07, 2009, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Ugh. My one and only experience with a White Castle near Atlantic City (long since closed; I think I was about 5 at the time) was bad enough that I've never wanted to go near one again. Also, their frozen burgers are absolute shite.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 10, 2009, 01:57:52 PM
Ugh. My one and only experience with a White Castle near Atlantic City (long since closed; I think I was about 5 at the time) was bad enough that I've never wanted to go near one again. Also, their frozen burgers are absolute shite.
I think I've actually thrown up after trying a frozen White Castle burger.  It may have been the copious amounts of alcohol I consumed to forget the experience, though.

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 10, 2009, 01:55:43 PM
There's one fairly close to here (like 10min walk). It has grown much over the last decades but it use to be nothing more then a trailer.

Their menu has barely change at all. Hot dogs, Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Pogo, Fries & Poutine.

:unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 01:11:49 PM
You know, I've never been to a White Castle, am I missing out?

What Cal said.  I haven't been to one in ages, but it's a guilty pleasure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on April 10, 2009, 01:28:00 PM
Do other cities have burger pits like this one:

I try to stay out of the ones in Dayton, as I would like to remain living and not croak from food poisoning.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Yes we have several but only in the city.  The further out into the burbs you go the more generic everything becomes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 02:34:33 PM

Yes we have several but only in the city.  The further out into the burbs you go the more generic everything becomes.

Sadly, that's the way it is most places.  OTOH, we have a really neat little diner in our town that's got the best burgers I've ever had.

Louisville itself has a surprisingly diverse and high quality culinary scene.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

In Detroit they're mostly out in the older suburbs; (the one in the picture is in one of Detroit's wealthiest suburb, Birmingham.)  In the city of Detroit even the White Castles are co-franchised with Church's Chicken.

jimmy olsen

And a white cinder block building with no logo doesn't scream generic to you? :blink:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2009, 02:46:49 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 10, 2009, 02:43:19 PM
Detroit's wealthiest suburb, Birmingham
That's not Grosse Pointe?

Grosse Pointe Shores is probably the wealthiest; Birmingham is a few notches down from that, but still quite well to do.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 02:45:49 PM
And a white cinder block building with no logo doesn't scream generic to you? :blink:

I think you misunderstood the question.  The question was not how many white cinder block buildings you have, it was how many small unique burger dives you had.

And in any case I think white cinder block buildings are not exactly super common for restaurants these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."