News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Thanks. It's basically a personal project, like everything I paint. They will certainly be ready for gaming if an opportunity should present itself (and I have based them so they are compatible with all major rulesets, both for big battles and skirmishing), but I generally just use rules and armylists as a framework for my painting. I like to be able to play games, but I don't have to actually do it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Next up for Warhammer Fantasy - High Elves:

Pretty stoked, since they're my main army in WFB.

The Brain

The Brain

Lord Fauconberg's battle based and ready!

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Nice work as usual, sir.  I enjoy the updates. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Edward IV's battle is ready!

He's the one who hasn't got shit all over him.

The Brain

Handgunners ready! I decided to base the pavises separately for maximum flexibility.

Jacob

Played a small WFB battle a little while ago; 750 pts, my High Elves vs Ogres.

It didn't start off too well, with my first spell triggering a miscast and killing 8 out of 9 Silver Helms (Heavy Cavalry) and taking out about 30% of my army by point value before any combat had been joined. I did my best, and actually had a few chances to turn the battle around, but the dice were against me.

The rematch is at 1500 points.

The Brain

That with the new HE armybook? What are your thoughts on it?

Jacob

Yeah, with the new books.

Overall it fits nicely with the 8th edition hardcover army books. Some sensible reorganization (Silver Helms and Reavers in Core), a few reasonable adjustments (Repeating Bolt Throwers went down in price) and some interesting new units.

Some things are kind of underwhelming, but there's nothing that's terrible and there's nothing that's ridiculous over powered either; so it's a well balanced book by GW standards. The new Frost Phoenix is interesting, and everyone on the net loves it, so that's cool (ahem).

Overall, I feel pretty positive about it. I don't think it's the new power army or anything, and I'm glad with that; it'll take a bit of finesse to win with it consistently.

Anything in particular you're curious about? Or do you have it yourself - and if so, what are your thoughts?

The Brain

I haven't read it, I rarely buy armybooks these days. The improved price of them doesn't in itself bother me but I'd like to see more interesting content. And I don't like that they make the actual army lists dry as a desert. I have lurked around some discussion of it though.

Have you built a skycutter yet?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2013, 04:47:44 PMHave you built a skycutter yet?

Didn't get one yet, as it didn't fit what I'm doing with the army. But I might get one eventually, as I quite like the model.

Have you played any games with your splendid medieval host?

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2013, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2013, 04:47:44 PMHave you built a skycutter yet?

Didn't get one yet, as it didn't fit what I'm doing with the army. But I might get one eventually, as I quite like the model.

Have you played any games with your splendid medieval host?

No I have not. The whole army will be battle ready soon. If a battle can be found...

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2013, 06:10:00 PMNo I have not. The whole army will be battle ready soon. If a battle can be found...

Warhammer Ancient Battles, or some other system?