News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Unfortunately, generic D&D style plastic figs isn't my area of expertise. Obviously Games Workshop has a lot of plastic fantasy stuff but they may or may not suit your taste.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2012, 12:40:28 PM
OK you've got my interest, recommend me some plastic* generic dungeon/D&D/fantasy figure to have a go at painting ! :gasp:

* I have a load of acrylic paints and no enamel ones, plus I don't want to breath in thinners whilst painting.

People use acrylic paints for metal figurines these days - they just prime the models first with gesso or expensive primer or simple white interior latex spray paint.

Anyhow, for plastics and D&D you should probably look at Reaper miniature's recent Bones series. They have a bunch more coming out after the successful kickstarter, but they've already released some: http://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/bones - I think they're the only ones doing single figures.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on September 04, 2012, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2012, 12:40:28 PM
OK you've got my interest, recommend me some plastic* generic dungeon/D&D/fantasy figure to have a go at painting ! :gasp:

* I have a load of acrylic paints and no enamel ones, plus I don't want to breath in thinners whilst painting.

People use acrylic paints for metal figurines these days - they just prime the models first with gesso or expensive primer or simple white interior latex spray paint.

Anyhow, for plastics and D&D you should probably look at Reaper miniature's recent Bones series. They have a bunch more coming out after the successful kickstarter, but they've already released some: http://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/bones - I think they're the only ones doing single figures.

Jacob thanks for that. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sophie Scholl

There is also eBay as an option.  You can get figures significantly cheaper than retail and typically find as many or as few as you want in addition to whatever type.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Prickers are done. I'm fairly pleased with how the horses came out, I used very simple techniques.

So what should I paint next? See list in earlier post.

sbr

Jacob

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2012, 05:30:57 PM
How are you basing them?

Likely individually ("WAB style") to keep maximum flexibility. If you mean aesthetically no final decision yet, but some of the earlier WotR models are almost based (some stuff left to do), see earlier pics. I may or may not change the basing on those.

Jacob

WAB style - so 25 x 50mm for the horses, and 20 x 20 mm for the infantry?

And yeah, that's what I meant.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 01:03:01 AM
WAB style - so 25 x 50mm for the horses, and 20 x 20 mm for the infantry?

And yeah, that's what I meant.

Yeah, basically.

The Brain

The Brain

Finished mercenary handgunners. I only show one pavise in the pic, the rest are still under construction. They will likely be put on their own bases, the one in the pic is just there to show you what they look like.

What's next? Hmm...

Admiral Yi

Can you explain the deal with the two-tone pantaloons?  :hmm:

BTW, the horses look really ossum.

The armor on the handgunners looks totally ossum too.  The handgunners themselves look like a bunch of inbred chimps, but their armor is ossum.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 05:46:21 PM
Can you explain the deal with the two-tone pantaloons?  :hmm:

BTW, the horses look really ossum.

The armor on the handgunners looks totally ossum too.  The handgunners themselves look like a bunch of inbred chimps, but their armor is ossum.

Well medieval pants often came in two parts and having them in different colors were something medieval folks seems to have liked.

Armor is really simple to paint. I paint it all in a metallic color, then apply a black wash (which is essentially thinned black paint that settles in recesses and provides nice shading with minimum work), and finally paint some highlights with a lighter metallic color. Dead easy.