Quote from: Grey Fox on April 09, 2009, 09:56:11 AM
Your first Marine looks like Siegy

Second from left looks like Dirty Ali

- The question is "do you feel lucky infidel?"

Kevin
It's been a while

The Brain

Quote from: Ape on April 08, 2009, 06:11:33 PM
I've begun painting and playing Flames of War, 15mm is a helluva lot harder to paint then 28mm of GW. But also quite a lot of fun, the rules are very simple while at the same time hard to master.  :cool:

Pics?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2009, 09:12:06 PM
As a side bonus, it plays very well indeed.  I will have to get you down here for a weekend game, as soon as we get the rest of the 10mm figures back from the painter in Sri Lanka.   The game plays better and faster than when you were down here last time.

We may even have to make a Languish meet out of the thing.

Keep me posted on this :)

What manufacturer are you using?

And... actually... tell me more about the professional miniature painting service as well, if you don't mind.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2009, 09:14:41 PM
About 75% of wargames rules are sold to people who never play them.  I aim to make that 90% in this rules set.  :D

That pretty much describes me.  Although my oldest boy has been rummaging around my collection of stuff and actually wants to play some things.  :yeah:

saskganesh

I think any figure representing Seigy should get an extra die to hit. however, he is vulnerable to taunts, so a special taunt attack will render him combat ineffective for 1d6 rounds.

and a Coors Lite IED = 2d6 rounds
humans were created in their own image

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2009, 01:04:08 PM
What manufacturer are you using?

And... actually... tell me more about the professional miniature painting service as well, if you don't mind.
We are using Old Glory 10s at the moment, but want some more Allied guys, and are looking around.

The painting service is something arranged through Russ at Old Glory, so I will have to ask him about some of the details.  They look good, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2009, 09:14:41 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:37:30 PM
Gonna buy and then put on shelf to collect dust?
About 75% of wargames rules are sold to people who never play them.  I aim to make that 90% in this rules set.  :D

Sounds tempting.  PReorder.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2009, 09:12:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2009, 06:35:07 PM
Good.  Customers are waiting, dammit.
You are gonna love it.  The historical commentary, diagrams, pictures, and whatnot are deliberately designed to appeal to napoleonics gamers who just buy the rules to read them.  It helps to be able to use the stuff from our books (which, BTW, are now showcased on our new website at www.militaryhistorypress.com.

As a side bonus, it plays very well indeed.  I will have to get you down here for a weekend game, as soon as we get the rest of the 10mm figures back from the painter in Sri Lanka.   The game plays better and faster than when you were down here last time.

We may even have to make a Languish meet out of the thing.

What can you tell me about how the rules work/the design philosophy behind them?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2009, 03:51:33 AM
What can you tell me about how the rules work/the design philosophy behind them?
The rules are "perspective-based" meaning that you play just one role, generally that of a corps commander (though you can play a division commander in a different corps, just to move the game along, and army commanders will usually play a division commander as well).  This means that you have very limited control over units below you in the chain of command.  You can issue orders, but divisions move according to both orders and the national doctrine.  You cannot move individual battalions, per se; they move with the division, maintaining facing and relative position.  Artillery deploys automatically and fires against the enemy formations that comprise the divisional target, not against units (you cannot target the enemy's elite formations, for instance; your gunners fire at the whole enemy front).

In essence, the game's heuristics determine the actions of subordinate units, though you may decide, as a commander, to "ride into the smoke" and take direct command of subordinate divisions, brigades, or even regiments/battalions.  Naturally, your ability to affect things in your own command disappear when you get involved in the nitty-gritty, but sometimes an inspirational leader can really make a difference at the battalion level, and turn the tide of a battle.  Of course, you are likelier to get killed this way!

The rules set uses a fair number of charts and tables to get this effect - far more than usual for Napoleonics rules.  The result is a rules set that is more complex than usual, but because you don't waste time with "fiddly" decisions it actually plays faster than real time.  You don't get to fire artillery until the enemy wavers, for instance, and then charge with your infantry.  In fact, you don't know how well your artillery has done until you charge (artillery fire is simply noted until it becomes necessary to know its effect, and then is rolled off all at once for the attacking and defending divisions).  the result is both more realistic and much faster.

There is a yahoo group, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/LoG1805/ for those interested in the rules.  Send me a PM when you want to join, as we have a "no spam" policy and so limit membership to approved applicants.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

The Brain

I am now painting the rest of my West/Central Africa style soldiers, all 22 of them. After that I will paint my Somali militia (20) and my white mercenaries (8).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2009, 10:07:28 AMand my white mercenaries (8).

Name one after me.  I would be honored as fuck all for that.

Ape

Quote from: The Brain on April 09, 2009, 11:09:09 AM

Pics?
Not yet, might be some in the future if you're a good boy i.e need to borrow a camera  :blush: