News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I think that we should keep everything about Warhammer, 40k, Warmaster Ancients etc etc in the same thread. It's not like it will overload.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to paint so I took a look in the old closet to see what unpainted minis I have lying around. I decided to paint more of my The Assault Group modern minis. I painted some US soldiers and AQ/Taliban dudes a few years ago, now the turn has come to my African soldiers. I have this loose image in my head of a campaign in a fictional African state with different groups fighting for their different goals. You'd have Western peacemakers, AQ nutjobs, the "legitimate" government, various militias... Probably won't materialize but I prefer to have a mental framework for my painting. :)

So here's my first African soldiers. NB that I haven't yet decided how I will base them so they are unbased (duh) and their boots aren't done. I really like TAG minis, they look nice and have the right amount of detail. Paint up real nice and quick. Not like the often too busy GW models. I have kept things simple paintingwise, if they look OK they look good enough to me.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I've pretty much decided to produce the Legacy of Glory 2 miniatures rules this summer.  Napoleonics miniatures players are in for a treat.  :frog:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Galrion

I've had the week to myself and I thought I'd do some painting.  Then I realized half my paints have dried up and I don't have anywhere with a decent enough light source in my home.  Now I need to pick up a table lamp of some sort.   <_<

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM
I think that we should keep everything about Warhammer, 40k, Warmaster Ancients etc etc in the same thread. It's not like it will overload.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to paint so I took a look in the old closet to see what unpainted minis I have lying around. I decided to paint more of my The Assault Group modern minis. I painted some US soldiers and AQ/Taliban dudes a few years ago, now the turn has come to my African soldiers. I have this loose image in my head of a campaign in a fictional African state with different groups fighting for their different goals. You'd have Western peacemakers, AQ nutjobs, the "legitimate" government, various militias... Probably won't materialize but I prefer to have a mental framework for my painting. :)

So here's my first African soldiers. NB that I haven't yet decided how I will base them so they are unbased (duh) and their boots aren't done. I really like TAG minis, they look nice and have the right amount of detail. Paint up real nice and quick. Not like the often too busy GW models. I have kept things simple paintingwise, if they look OK they look good enough to me.

What ruleset are you thinking of using?

Ape

I've begun painting and playing Flames of War, 15mm is a helluva lot harder to paint then 28mm of GW. But also quite a lot of fun, the rules are very simple while at the same time hard to master.  :cool:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2009, 09:11:00 PM
I've pretty much decided to produce the Legacy of Glory 2 miniatures rules this summer.  Napoleonics miniatures players are in for a treat.  :frog:

Good.  Customers are waiting, dammit.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2009, 06:35:07 PM

Gonna buy and then put on shelf to collect dust?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:37:30 PM

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE CUSTOMER DOES WITH IT WHEN HE PURCHASES IT

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PMnow the turn has come to my African soldiers. I have this loose image in my head of a campaign in a fictional African state with different groups fighting for their different goals.

I hereby commission you to paint a Jonas Zavimbi.

grumbler

You are gonna love it.  The historical commentary, diagrams, pictures, and whatnot are deliberately designed to appeal to napoleonics gamers who just buy the rules to read them.  It helps to be able to use the stuff from our books (which, BTW, are now showcased on our new website at www.militaryhistorypress.com.

As a side bonus, it plays very well indeed.  I will have to get you down here for a weekend game, as soon as we get the rest of the 10mm figures back from the painter in Sri Lanka.   The game plays better and faster than when you were down here last time.

We may even have to make a Languish meet out of the thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:37:30 PM
About 75% of wargames rules are sold to people who never play them.  I aim to make that 90% in this rules set.  :D

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2009, 01:36:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

What ruleset are you thinking of using?

I don't know. If it ever happens it will probably be homemade rules for the campaign and for the tactical part The Face of Modern Battle, maybe a variation of 2 Hour Wargames' FNG, or one of the free rulesets I've gotten off the web (Twentieth Century, Dogs of War, 5.56mm, The Book And The Gun...).

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2009, 08:04:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PMnow the turn has come to my African soldiers. I have this loose image in my head of a campaign in a fictional African state with different groups fighting for their different goals.

I hereby commission you to paint a Jonas Zavimbi.

In the meantime maybe you recognize the jolly fellow on the left? :hug: