News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I never got into the Horus Heresy. And I see that that may have been for the best. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2023, 03:02:35 PMCame across this and thought I'd put it here since it's Warhammer related. Apparently someone created a reading order/timeline for the Horus Heresy books etc. And ... err ... see for yourself. :lol: :bleeding:

http://gaming.kylebb.com/hhtimeline/
Wow. And just that one topic. I knew they were churning out pulp fiction but I didn't know it was that bad.
And let me guess, every single book mentions a different character as the strongest and bestest marine of the strongest and bestest legion.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2023, 05:02:54 AMI never got into the Horus Heresy. And I see that that may have been for the best. :)

Barring a few books I read as a teenager (Drachenfels) and a handful of Inquisitor novels, I've never gotten into GW fiction. The minis are (often) cool and the games can be fun but yeah... great for those who like it, but not me.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2023, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2023, 05:02:54 AMI never got into the Horus Heresy. And I see that that may have been for the best. :)

Barring a few books I read as a teenager (Drachenfels) and a handful of Inquisitor novels, I've never gotten into GW fiction. The minis are (often) cool and the games can be fun but yeah... great for those who like it, but not me.

Yeah, I've never read any GW novels.

Sophie Scholl

I read a lot of the WH Fantasy books when I was younger and a bit of the 40k stuff, too. I really loved the Horus Heresy and was so excited when the novels debuted. Then it just got to be way, way too much. Think MCU style. I haven't read any WH book of any style in a long time, though I do randomly read through a wiki or two to see how things have developed. Them killing off the Fantasy setting and then the HH getting bogged down and 40k just being ok drove me to other outlets. There are a lot of really great concepts, but the overall quality of the final products never seem to match the sum of those parts.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Iormlund

I was never that interested in the Heresy part of the setting. I've only read the first one.

I quite enjoyed the Inquisitor Eisenhorn & Ravenor books, though.

grumbler

Good to see you posting again, Sophie.   :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Thanks! I check in every now and then, though this is my first post in a while. The Gaming HQ sub-forum was always a pretty relaxed place.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2023, 01:11:01 PMNice minis.

When I go to the Ragnarok Miniatures website I get a fatal error, unfortunately. Got a good look on the FB page though. But yeah, pretty nice.

I'me in the (slow) process of trying to assemble most of my backlog of grey plastic (and unpainted lead / pewter). It's taking a while....

FYI Gripping Beast is now selling Ragnarok minis: https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Ragnarok_Miniatures--category--1007.html

Jacob

Jacob

If you're interested in football hooligans, skinheads, and 70s and 80s British street violence, Ainsty Castings has a miniatures range for you - AGGRO.

A select few pictures:

They even have terrain...

... and a streaker

Not sure what rules you'd use, though.

The Brain

I remember seeing something about an AGGRO ruleset from Ainsty *checks records* yeah there was an article about it in Wargames Illustrated. Might be OOP though.

The Brain