News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah, I have a few Sarissa items as well. I like their stuff.

The Brain

I built some palisades from 4Ground. I have some more pieces I can build, but you get the idea. In practice I would likely place the keep by a table edge in order not to dominate all the battlefield, and also that way you don't need as many palisade pieces. Even like this you can still attack it from two different directions which should be enough for tactical shenanigans.

Obviously palisades are useful for a lot of stuff, keep or no keep.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

In news that may please some posters I've started on my late WW1 French. Did some color tests that I'm OK with. One metropolitan French guy, and one of the tirailleurs sénégalais. The painting is very simple, which I think works fine for WW1 with its dirt and muted colors. I used a black wash for everything except European skin and hair. I haven't based them yet since I plan to base them the same as my Germans, so I don't need to test it.

Just like my Germans my aim here is to have figures that work for 1916-18, and I think these do. My sources say that the Senegalese only got khaki greatcoats in 1918 (their uniforms had been khaki for a few years), but that's fine. At least khaki greatcoats existed before 1918, my sources say that for instance the Foreign Legion got them in 15/16.

The figures are Wargames Atlantic, and their French late WW1 box has a lot of options (and it works for early WW2 as well). You get Europan heads with kepi, European heads with Adrian helmet, Adrian helmets with mid war gas mask, Adrian helmets with 1918 gas mask, African heads with Adrian helmet, and African heads with traditional soft headgear (the Senegalese used the Adrian helmet in combat as soon as it became available in 1915). Two full sets of different rifles, and also light machine guns etc. Packs and other bits and pieces. If there's anything missing it's rifle grenades, which the French were fond of. The quality of the figures is OK, but nowhere near Victrix quality (which I didn't expect them to be).

Threviel

Looks great. Shouldn't the leg bindings be white?

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on January 31, 2022, 09:25:40 AM
Looks great. Shouldn't the leg bindings be white?

Thanks. They existed in various colors, including the same as the uniform. In the interest of simple painting I picked that one.

Jacob

I recently ordered myself a paint mixer to see if I can revive some of my many older Vallejo paint. According to the tracking number, it arrived in Vancouver on Friday afternoon. I'm hoping it'll make a difference.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2022, 11:30:07 AM
I recently ordered myself a paint mixer to see if I can revive some of my many older Vallejo paint. According to the tracking number, it arrived in Vancouver on Friday afternoon. I'm hoping it'll make a difference.

:cheers:

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2022, 08:43:26 AM
If there's anything missing it's rifle grenades, which the French were fond of.

Correction: I found a rifle grenade on the sprue. Nice.

The Brain

While reading the The One Ring 2nd Ed rulebook I realized that my collection of Dark Age models means I have a pretty solid core of models for LOTR gaming. Which is obvious of course (given Tolkien's inspiration), but I didn't look at it that way before. Earlier I have painted some stuff for fantasy ingredients in a basically historical setting like Odin, and I have bought some orcs (with a non-GW look) for possible HarnMaster stuff. I already have the rulebook for the GW LOTR game, these days called Middle-Earth, and while I have never played it it does have a reputation as the best current GW system, and I've always liked that it's a true skirmish game with the individual as the tactical unit. There's also the Battle Companies supplement for classic "start out with a few n00bs and build into a badass warband" campaign gaming, which I like. I have never bought models for the game because 1) they're based on the movies and not the books and 2) they're not scale-compatible with normal 28mm models.

I've always loved LOTR gaming. Played the ICE boardgame The Fellowship of the Ring, a lot of MERP, and a bit of home-brewed miniature gaming way back when. Nice to revisit Middle-Earth.

Looking at my Dark Age stuff:
Anglo-Saxons - Rohirrim
Irish (maybe with some vikings) - Dunlendings
Vikings - various Northern Men
Normans - until I get some Byzantines painted they can be Gondorians, and/or Northern Dunedain dressed for open warfare
Byzantines (if I paint them) - Gondorians
Arabs (if I paint them) - Harad
Steppe Nomads/Pechenegs (if I paint them) - various Easterners
Wolves/bears etc, I already have a few of those painted

Dual use certainly increases return of time investment on painting models. Nice.

So I've started getting some various models to flesh out my "LOTR" collection. It's pretty fun trying to find appropriate models in different ranges. Reaper has a lot of good stuff, but also others are very useful.

Some more wolves, by Warlord.

A small troll and a warg, by Reaper.

Four hobbits. These are Oathmark halfling soldiers from North Star. They certainly work both as famous hobbits and as generic hobbits.

Jacob

Nice work as always! :cheers:

Do you mind posting a picture of the warlord wolves next to an infantry mini? I'd like to get a sense of their scale, if possible.

The Brain

Thanks! :)

Everyone gets to be in the pic. From left to right: WizKids Timber Wolves, Victrix Norman, Warlord Tribal Nation Wolves (from their Mythic Americas range), Reaper Warg.

Jacob

Thanks! Much obliged :cheers:

I'm looking to get some goblin wolf rider minis. Right now my leading option are the Oathmark ones, except I really don't like their wolves... so I'm looking for replacement options.

The Brain

I've gotten some Oathmark wolf riders for the LOTR project, even if I did think the wolves looked a bit cartoony or whatever you wanna call it. I have yet to paint them. I really like the look of the Warlord wolves (even if they are too big for realistic wolves). And I love the Reaper warg, but it's a single model.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2022, 12:04:39 PMI've gotten some Oathmark wolf riders for the LOTR project, even if I did think the wolves looked a bit cartoony or whatever you wanna call it. I have yet to paint them. I really like the look of the Warlord wolves (even if they are too big for realistic wolves). And I love the Reaper warg, but it's a single model.

Do you think the Oathmark riders would work on the Warlord wolves? I agree they look good, which is why I'm asking.

And yeah, a single model won't cut it alas :(

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on March 30, 2022, 12:59:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2022, 12:04:39 PMI've gotten some Oathmark wolf riders for the LOTR project, even if I did think the wolves looked a bit cartoony or whatever you wanna call it. I have yet to paint them. I really like the look of the Warlord wolves (even if they are too big for realistic wolves). And I love the Reaper warg, but it's a single model.

Do you think the Oathmark riders would work on the Warlord wolves? I agree they look good, which is why I'm asking.

And yeah, a single model won't cut it alas :(

You decide:

There might be smaller rider models to be found from other manufacturers, but maybe they all have the "GW look".