QuoteAbilities
The Mad Count: Marius Leitdorf is an
exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally
insane. If, during your hero phase, you
pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you
can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland
Runefang until your next hero phase. If
you actually talk to your imaginary horse
you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.
:rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2015, 03:57:25 AM
If anyone's interested Warhammer Fantasy Battle is gone. 8th Ed was the last. Now there's Age of Sigmar, which is a different game.

Sad to see it go. I really enjoyed it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Warspite

Has anyone played the X-Wing Miniatures game?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Syt

I think it looks very good, but I've stayed away from it, because it looks like a ridiculous money sink.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2015, 07:53:41 AM
I think it looks very good, but I've stayed away from it, because it looks like a ridiculous money sink.

It is both those things  :weep:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Haven't played any X-Wing. Life would be easier if I was into Star Wars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 14, 2015, 10:45:41 AM

Have you given Kings of War a go? It seems to be emerging as the consensus heir to WFB locally.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 06:34:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 14, 2015, 10:45:41 AM

Have you given Kings of War a go? It seems to be emerging as the consensus heir to WFB locally.

No I haven't. My completely uneducated impression (I haven't read the rules) is that it's probably a good choice. Have you read the 2nd ed?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2015, 12:38:40 PM
No I haven't. My completely uneducated impression (I haven't read the rules) is that it's probably a good choice. Have you read the 2nd ed?

Yeah, I got the second edition and I've tinkered with a gazillion army lists trying to repurpose my WFB armies. It seems pretty good on read-through. Several of the guys at the local nerd store have played some games, and there was even a tournament.

The rules are significantly less baroque than WFB, but that's good from my PoV. From what I hear, it's pretty similar to WFB in approach, if streamlined, but with enough nuance differences that it'll trip you up for a bit when trying to figure out effective strategies - but that's part of the fun.

Some key differences in my read through:

- no individual casualty removal (and thus no attendant weakening of units). You track wounds which lower morale, eventually leading to the unit running off.
- vastly simplified magic, unlikely to overshadow a whole game (i.e. no "destroy half the army - yours or the opponent's").
- inspiration (units/ heroes allowing morale rerolls) is a key factor in army building - how many heroes do you take? Do you make them fighty or not?
- in general most hero choices are not giant combat monsters (except people riding dragons et. al.); units are king.
- there's less of the wacky warhammer randomness overall.

In terms of fiction I think it's pretty generic, to be honest, and the art direction is adequate to fine. But it seems an easy transition from WFB. Also, it has enough human lists that you can easily field historicals as armies.

katmai

Quote from: Warspite on October 14, 2015, 10:20:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2015, 07:53:41 AM

It is both those things  :weep:
ive been tempted by this tell me more arky
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

I recently found a local gaming club and with the kids now out of the house have decided to take my on-line Blood Bowl obsession to the table top.

I have not really done any table top gaming, definitely no miniature gaming and thus have never built or painted any minis.

I ordered the Necromantic team from Comixininos ( as great as their miniatures look I can't recommend them as their customer service is atrocious, it took over a week just to get a confirmation email that I actually ordered something, and then I found out another ~10 days later that the Wights were on back order) as I wasn't confident enough to try and piece a team together with separate parts or do any conversions.

I highly recommend the Miniature Painting 101 Youtube series.  The couple of episodes of 3 Colors Up I have seen aren't bad but one of the presenters really irritated me.

Here is my work in progress (though I need to get my ass in gear, my first league match is Tuesday evening :D) Necro team Re-born in the Purple; all players named after Roman Emperors.

I didn't think about how much work this team would be compared to a "normal" team, but Necro is one of my Top 3 favorite races.  With all of the different players it requires a lot more different paint colors than something like a Human/Orc/Elf team where every player would have the same (or very close) skin tone.

Back left two are Flesh Golems; I don't like how the lighter one has turned out I wanted him more gray.

Next in line is one of the 2 Ghouls.  His left leg is up in the air, with his knee bent at a 90 degree angle.

Then is my favorite piece, which works well because Werewolves are one of my favorite BB players.  This guy has turned out pretty well, I am happy with the way the Sepia Wash and my beginner's dry brushing skills worked out on his fur.  I am having a hard time getting a picture that shows that detail but isn't zoomed in so close you can see every fault in the painting and everything else.

The 2 Wights are on the end of the back row.  I jacked their faces up by being too heavy handed with the black wash on their Bonewhite skulls.  I am hoping I can fix it eventually.

The front row are the 5 Zombies.  Obviously only the Orc Zombie in the middle is close to finished.  The Dwarf Zombie on the far right is going to be a bastard with all of the weird detail he has.  The guy on the left needs a lot of work too, I had a lot of the trim painted then decided to repaint his skin color so the detail work will need to be touched up/redone.

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Nice start!  Be sure to take a final pic. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Thanks!

No update on the painting front, but I just won my second (of 2) League games tonight.  Along with a draw in a practice game back I played back in December I am now 2-0-1 in my table top career.

I also won enough moniez to buy my second Werewolf so I will need to slather some paint all over that model sometime over the next 10-14 days.

The Brain