News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2011, 02:27:11 PM
Tell me about it.
They are the latest flash-in-the-pan simplistic WW2 rules set for n00bs.  They are not really intended to be "realistic" in any way, just fun.  They are fairly fun at the start, but too gamey to sustain a historian's interest.  Great for kids, so long as you make sure they know that the game isn't intended to be realistic.  OOBs are designed to conform to game requirements, not realism.

Good for starting the kids off and wetting their interest.  Expensive, though, and FoW units are useless outside those rules.  If you have been invited to play FoW with adults, be very, very suspicious.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2011, 09:18:51 AM
Tell me about it.
They are the latest flash-in-the-pan simplistic WW2 rules set for n00bs.  They are not really intended to be "realistic" in any way, just fun.  They are fairly fun at the start, but too gamey to sustain a historian's interest.  Great for kids, so long as you make sure they know that the game isn't intended to be realistic.  OOBs are designed to conform to game requirements, not realism.

Good for starting the kids off and wetting their interest.  Expensive, though, and FoW units are useless outside those rules.  If you have been invited to play FoW with adults, be very, very suspicious.

:huh:

Yeah, adults.  Another prosecutor was telling me about his gaming group, and I think they're all in their 40s-50s.

I don't think they're interested in performing historic simulations, but rather just getting away from their wives once a week.  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be suspicious of. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 09:29:15 AM
Yeah, adults.  Another prosecutor was telling me about his gaming group, and I think they're all in their 40s-50s.

I don't think they're interested in performing historic simulations, but rather just getting away from their wives once a week.  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be suspicious of. :unsure:
I was going to say that you should be very suspicious that there is at least one lawyer involved, but that warning seems moot, given what you say here.   :(

I think you will find it fun, but I suspect that you would be wise not to get too enthusiastic about buying your own units until you see if the game has legs in your group.  If they are playing the game with non-FoW miniatures (i.e. regular 15mm figures) then you have no worries - those figures and vehicles can be used in lots of other games.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 09:29:15 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2011, 09:18:51 AM
Tell me about it.

:huh:

No one is. The game is very popular so probably reasonably fun.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Painted a guy for Warhammer 40k roleplay. I love the model and I'm pleased with the painting. As usual photo quality is not awesome.

Sophie Scholl

Nice work.  I like the scroll work you did.  My only concern is that he seems too... clean?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 23, 2011, 03:07:54 AM
Nice work.  I like the scroll work you did.  My only concern is that he seems too... clean?

FUCK OFF :mad:

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 09:29:15 AM:huh:

If you think playing Warhammer and 40K is fun, then you'll probably enjoy FoW. I haven't played it, but from everything I've heard, it's on about that level of complexity. It's more about building a list for X points and facing your mate than it's about hard core historical sim, though it does obviously have the WWII flavour. I believe it's better balanced than the Warhammers, though.

My guess is that it's a great game for playing over a few beers with your mates every so often, and gives you a good chance of finding new opponents if that's ever a concern as it's fairly popular.

Let us know how it goes.

The Brain

Got my shipment of Perry miniatures mounted men at arms. As usual with the Perry twins the models are excellent.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2713

Hmm, I noticed that they have some new medieval models... Italians and shit. Interesting.

My painting is very slow these days. I did paint my castle model that I bought a few years ago though. I have some half-painted WotR archers on my desk right now...

The Brain

In other news Warhammer Historical has closed.

Jacob

That's shitty news. But not really unexpected.

I'm thinking of doing a WFB army with primarily Perry and Warlord figures. It's much much cheaper than Games Workshop.

The Brain

I finished 12 Yorkist longbowmen and I've started on 12 more. Not based the painted ones yet, I will probably base the entire army when it is done.

In other mini news the new edition (6th) of Warhammer 40k is released next week.

CountDeMoney

By the way Brain, kudos on the work on that WH40K Inquisitor figurine;  I like what you did with the base.