The Old World, a new Civ-like from Soren Johnson

Started by FunkMonk, April 15, 2020, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2024, 07:01:08 AMGot killed in my next tutorial game which was a higher setting.
Anyway gonna play for real now.

Quick question. You know how when you discover an empty city tile you can place a unit on it to safeguard it. Can it be any unit? Even workers or scouts?

Scouts are the best way to do it, but it can be anything

Jacob

Yeah scouts are probably the best. What I usually do is park a Scout there and then - on turns where I have excess orders - range out and collect a few resources before ranging back to the spot.

Sometimes I'll move a military unit into position to camp it, if it makes sense for that unit to garrison the city once it's built. That'll free the Scout up to do more Scouting/ resource collecting. It's usually low on the priority list for orders, but it's there.

Josephus

I made a newbie mistake with that :lol:  I had a scout sitting on a city spot for a while. I had a settler coming. His last turn had him two tiles away, so I figured close enough, and moved my scout away. On the AI turn, some chariot dude I didn't see comes in and takes the spot away from me.  :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Yeah, one of the first things you learn is how well the AI prioritizes occupying the empty city sites

Jacob

On the other hand, I've had some good moments sharking city sites from AI as well. When they're clearing out a barbarian site, if you have a few military units around you can hold back and time your attacks to occupy the site. And don't feel bad about it, the AI will do the same to you.

Occasionally I've also had some good luck with a Scout hidden somewhere near an occupied city site and the AI (foolishly) moves off for a moment. Yoink.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 12, 2024, 01:52:00 PMOn the other hand, I've had some good moments sharking city sites from AI as well. When they're clearing out a barbarian site, if you have a few military units around you can hold back and time your attacks to occupy the site. And don't feel bad about it, the AI will do the same to you.

Occasionally I've also had some good luck with a Scout hidden somewhere near an occupied city site and the AI (foolishly) moves off for a moment. Yoink.

Yeah, its the thing that makes the game mechanic less frustrating.  At first I thought the AI cheated by calculating how to go directly to the empty sites and occupy them, but with enough time spent playing I realized that it does not race immediately to the sites and it can be outmaneuvered with good game play.

One of the things I enjoy about the game  :)