The Public's ebbing trust in complex science

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2010, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 07:22:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 09, 2010, 06:36:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2010, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2010, 06:19:28 PM
You might want to pick up reading instead of relying on blind faith.  Who knows, you might learn something.  Then again just going with the flow is so much easier, no need to examine facts, no need to challenge authority.
:lmfao:

http://www.nationalreview.com/

Your first, last, and only stop for reading facts and not relying on blind faith.

More like the famous, right-wing Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/01/leaked-emails-climate-jones-chinese
Or Der Spiegel http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,674087,00.html
Or the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/dailypolitics/andrewneil/2010/01/the_dam_is_cracking.html
Or the Tines of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Ramesh-turns-heat-on-Pachauri-over-glacier-melt-scare/articleshow/5474586.cms
Or the Times of London http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6999975.ece
Or the Daily Telegraph http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/
The UK Spectator http://www.spectator.co.uk/print/politics/all/5749853/the-global-warming-guerrillas.thtml

etc, etc.  Only the cool-aid drinkers still buy the global warming hoax.

Hans, when are you going to be able to tell the difference between editorials and facts?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Digging a little deeper in the sources for the editorials Hans has cited we find this little ditty referring to climate change science.

"It's the new religion for urban populations which have lost their faith in Christianity."

and then this

"Besides which, Australia's economy is peculiarly vulnerable to the effects of climate change alarmism. 'Though we have 40 per cent of the world's uranium, we don't have nuclear energy. We're reliant mainly on bucketloads of cheap coal. Eighty per cent of our electricity is coal-generated and clustered around our coalfields are our aluminium producers. The very last thing the Australian economy needs is the cap and trade legislation being proposed by Kevin Rudd. If it gets passed, the country will go broke."

btw the scientist in question is an Aussie.  From the rest of the article its not that he can disprove the global warming theory its just that he doest trust the data.  Given his particular bias - both religous and economic -  I am not sure anyone should trust his assertions of misgivings.

The article in question is here.  http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/all/3755623/meet-the-man-who-has-exposed-the-great-climate-change-con-trick.thtml

The Larch

Going on a slight tangent, I'd say that the general public's insufficient understanding of science make them distrust more than just climate change. The other main victim of this is genetic engineering and all that stems from it, such as stem cell research, GM foodstuffs, biomedicine, etc. Lots of issues overlap, anti intelectualism, the politization of science, conspiracy theories, and the like.

Tamas

You guys answered Tim's original question much better than you think: at this point, it is impossible to be reasonable on the man-made global warming topic because it has become full of politics.

First the pro-crowd gained the political upper hand and for some time used it to totally silence the sceptics. Still after recent controversies, voiceing concerns equals heresy. Having invested so many "street cred" and money on the issue, they obviously felt forced to make the issue as dramatic and urgent as possible. Hence the tampering with data, which luckily got out, so the sceptics got some room to breath. Of course, this in turn also gave an opportunity for the politial groups opposing those supporting the pro scientists, to run in all guns blazing, and declare that thinking there is global warming is heresy.

Judging by the leaked e-mails, and other stuff like their retreat on the ice melting issue on the UN report, probably the truth is somewhere in the middle, but in our days political and cultural climate, the "middle" is an impossible position to maintain. You must take a side and shout away or you are silenced.

Faeelin

Eh, it's not just global warming. Look at how Nevadans freaked out over Yucca Mountain.

Tamas

Oh and as much as I hate the anti-genetics and anti-tech crowd, anti-man-made-global-warming-ism is not part of that. The radical greens are the anti-tech crowd in this case.

Viking

It's correct that people don't understand science. No need for the adjective "complex". It doesn't help that anti-science and luddite buffoons use the real contest and conflict of science to declaim the whole thing bunk and then create a false dichotomy to claim whatever the opposite of science says is true.

Judging by the 3 (out of tens of thousands) emails about frustration with luddites and suggestions on how to process data nothing should be inferred other than some scientists are frustrated with luddites and need suggestions on how to process data (the "trick" thing).

The IPCC and glaciers? WTF. It's conclusions do not require the glacier data. It's scientists (not climate sceptics) who found the glacier error. But more importantly, the fact that an error was found and corrected is not an argument for discarding the corrected conclusion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

It's less about politics then it is about economics.  Would people care if it didn't have an economic impact? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2010, 08:51:01 AM
You guys answered Tim's original question much better than you think: at this point, it is impossible to be reasonable on the man-made global warming topic because it has become full of politics.

Of course it is possible to be reasonable.  Many people apparently choose not to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2010, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2010, 10:12:13 AM
I'm not going to sort my trash.

You dont sort your trash.  You sort your recycling. :smarty:

I don't do that either. I used my recycling bin as a snow brick maker.  :homestar:

Forts win wars.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2010, 10:10:09 AM
It's less about politics then it is about economics.  Would people care if it didn't have an economic impact?
I think so.  There is a large and growing number of people out there for whom believing conspiracy theories is its own reward.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2010, 09:39:34 AM
Oh and as much as I hate the anti-genetics and anti-tech crowd, anti-man-made-global-warming-ism is not part of that. The radical greens are the anti-tech crowd in this case.

It's exactly the same thing, only coming from different crowds.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 10, 2010, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

It's exactly the same thing, only coming from different crowds.

Well, maybe, but I am not sure. "genetic engineering is teh evöl, stay with the old ways" is cleary ludditism. "let the industry roam, fuck nature" is not nearly the same thing.