News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100% Clean Coal

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2010, 09:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Who's the chick in your avatar?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on March 08, 2010, 03:10:23 PM
I hate to burst your bubble Tim, but CO2 is hardly the only contaminant expelled in coal plants.
Reminds me a little of the old "if you're not going to invade every dictatorship you're not allowed to invade Iraq" argument.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 03:38:49 PM
I hate to burst your bubble Tim, but CO2 is hardly the only contaminant expelled in coal plants.
Reminds me a little of the old "if you're not going to invade every dictatorship you're not allowed to invade Iraq" argument.

Nah. It's just that I find the fixation with CO2 a little silly.

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 08, 2010, 03:20:59 PM
Who's the chick in your avatar?

The hottest nerd ever. :wub:

DGuller

The actress who invented some radio encryption technology? :unsure:

Fate

How about:

"If you're going to deny that anthropogenic global warming exists, you're not allowed to put forward clean coal as a solution."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 08, 2010, 04:14:45 PM
How about:

"If you're going to deny that anthropogenic global warming exists, you're not allowed to put forward clean coal as a solution."
That's a good one.

But since neither Friedman or Kosla deny global warming exists (as far as we know), they are allowed to put forward this particular technology as *a* solution.  Right?

Razgovory

You mean the straw man argument?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on March 08, 2010, 03:51:49 PM
Nah. It's just that I find the fixation with CO2 a little silly.

From wikilove:

QuoteHistorically, the primary focus was on sulfur dioxide and particulates, since it is the most important gas in the causation of acid rain. More recent focus has been on carbon dioxide (due to its impact on global warming) as well as other pollutants.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

I am completely aware of that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2010, 05:09:13 PM

No.  I mean the "if you're not going to invade every dictatorship you're not allowed to invade Iraq" argument.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 05:19:21 PM

No.  I mean the "if you're not going to invade every dictatorship you're not allowed to invade Iraq" argument.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yes, that's called a straw man argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2010, 05:20:33 PM
Meaning no one has ever put forth the argument I described, or are you using an alternate universe definition of straw man?

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2010, 05:20:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 05:19:21 PM

No, it isn't, actually.  It is more of a reducto ad absurdum argument.  Same genus, different species.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2010, 04:12:42 PM
The actress who invented some radio encryption technology? :unsure:

And does she have a name?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Wrong article.  There isn't any such thing as "the" strawman argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!