Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 08, 2010, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2010, 04:12:42 PM
The actress who invented some radio encryption technology? :unsure:

And does she have a name?
Most likely yes.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2010, 05:25:39 PMWrong article.  There isn't any such thing as "the" strawman argument.

Sure there is. It's when somebody makes a point, and you say, "That's a Strawman!".   :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 05:24:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2010, 05:20:33 PM
Yes, that's called a straw man argument.
Meaning no one has ever put forth the argument I described, or are you using an alternate universe definition of straw man?

I don't think anyone has ever seriously put forward the argument that before someone is allowed to invade Iraq they must also invade every dictatorship in the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 08, 2010, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2010, 04:12:42 PM
The actress who invented some radio encryption technology? :unsure:

And does she have a name?

Hedy Lamarr.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2010, 05:55:51 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2010, 05:25:39 PMWrong article.  There isn't any such thing as "the" strawman argument.

Sure there is. It's when somebody makes a point, and you say, "That's a Strawman!".   :D

:yes:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2010, 05:55:51 PM
Nope. What we have here is a failure to communicate.  :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2010, 06:02:51 PM
I don't think anyone has ever seriously put forward the argument that before someone is allowed to invade Iraq they must also invade every dictatorship in the world.
Not recently, no.  But during the debate before the invasion of Iraq, that point was made, along the lines of "invading Iraq is wrong, because there are other dictators in the world besides Saddam Hussein, and the US hasn't overthrown them."

This was back on the P'dox boards, so may have been before your time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on March 08, 2010, 07:50:46 PM
:yes:
You'd certainly be the one to know about strawman arguments, given that your posts here are used to illustrate the topic on Nizkor.com:D

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help