News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How safe is SF?

Started by garbon, March 05, 2010, 01:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/03/BAV91CAGLG.DTL&tsp=1

QuoteThree cousins from Hayward have been charged in San Francisco with a hate crime and assault for allegedly firing a BB rifle at the face of a man they believed was gay, an attack the men videotaped, authorities said Wednesday.

Mohammad Habibzada, Shafiq Hashemi and Sayed Bassam, all 24, are scheduled to be arraigned today in San Francisco Superior Court. They are free on $50,000 bond apiece.

The victim of Friday's attack was walking on the 3200 block of 16th Street near Guerrero Street about 10 p.m. when a car pulled up and someone inside opened fire with a BB rifle, police said.

The man was hit in the face but refused medical treatment, said Lt. Lyn Tomioka, spokeswoman for the Police Department. He reported the shooting to police, who pulled over a car that matched the assailants' vehicle a short distance away and arrested the three Hayward men.

Investigators believe the assailants chose the victim because he appeared to be gay. When the men were pulled over, police found a video camera that was used to film the shooting, investigators said.

Assistant District Attorney Victor Hwang, the prosecutor in the case, said the men are cooperating in the investigation.

Authorities are looking into whether the attack was isolated or whether there have been similar BB gun shootings elsewhere in the Bay Area. Police have been unable to find victims to support any additional allegations, but Hwang said, "We believe we have the evidence to show that there was targeting of individuals who they believed to be gay."

He added, "We know about this one case. We want to know about if there are any other cases."

I often walk that way after class and used to walk that way to the clubs. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

QuoteMohammad Habibzada, Shafiq Hashemi and Sayed Bassam

I've heard enough. Guilty.

Good thing they only used the BB rifle though, if they had used its main guns things would have been a lot worse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

At least in America, muslims actually go to jail.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

One incident does not a dangerous city make.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2010, 01:31:20 AM

It does when it's your neighborhood!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

Haven't you seen the Dirty Harry series? SF is the worst crime-ridden hell hole in America, worse than Detroit!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't want to be living in Hiroshima. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Oh fuck off you cocksmoking whore.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2010, 01:37:18 AM

It does when it's your neighborhood!
Guess how many hate crimes have happened in my county this year?  Zero.  :)

Somehow city life is better, though. :huh:

Some crazy dude murdered his wife here last year, but that was the first murder in like a decade.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

They attacked someone by believing he was gay in SF?
And with that my prejudices about that city collapse.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2010, 06:54:31 AM
They attacked someone by believing he was gay in SF?
And with that my prejudices about that city collapse.

If anything it should be reinforcing your prejudices about Mideasterners.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2010, 01:25:42 AM
Hayward
And those who laughed at me when I said a fence around Hayward was a good thing...where are they now?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM