A mystery for Languish detectives; or, a scam averted

Started by stjaba, March 04, 2010, 11:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 05, 2010, 08:53:00 AM
Googling Louis Vuitton agenda, as I have no idea what agenda means in this context, it appears to be some kind of personal organizer or book.  I can't believe someone would pay $500 for that.

That's what an agenda is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

BTW, GF- AOL email address is free nowadays; anybody with an AIM account can use an @aol.com address.  Sprint IP used to (probably still does) kick a lot of scammers using AOL addresses.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2010, 08:55:39 AM
That's what an agenda is.

I've never in my entire life heard of this called an agenda.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

stjaba

Quote from: merithyn on March 05, 2010, 09:36:24 AM
I have. :)

stjaba, answer my question! :contract:

Her boss (a doctor) got it for free as a freebie/prize/giveaway in Las Vegas. At my girlfriend's work, a pediatricians office, they have some sort of incentive system, and basically almost all the non-doctor employees are eligible for monthly (or quarterly?) raffle/giveaway that the doctors contribute to. Usually the items are like worth 50 bucks, but I guess this time the docs decided to be generous and my girlfriend got lucky and won it .

----------
I am now pretty confident that it was the buyer who was trying to pull a fast one. The buyer sent this email to us this morning:
"eBay closed the case. Can you alert the postmaster inspector???"

I don't think so :lol: :lol: :lol: Even if nothing gets done, I hope she lives in terror for the next few days. 

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2010, 07:26:33 AM
I think the some person in the postal system lost the parcel (slid down behind a seat/behind a machine, whatever) and just reinserted it in to the delivery stream it (damaged, because it was crushed behind the seat or stepped on because it was on the floor, or whatever) when it was found, and it was then delivered.

This happens once in a while even when you use UPS. 

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

That does strike me as plausible, except for the fact that package was allegedly dropped off in the very late afternoon/early evening. As far as I am used to, mail is typically delivered in the morning or early to mid afternoon.

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on March 05, 2010, 02:27:51 AM
What justice needs to be served if you get your cash and the buyer gets the product?
Because otherwise the buyer gets a freeroll.  She wins if her scam works, and is no worse off if it doesn't.

DGuller

I think the buyer is the scammer.  "Finding" something almost immediately after finding out that the heat was on is a classic tell-tale sign of an amateur thief suddenly realizing that they didn't think things through. 

I think the theory about it being a theft of opportunity is spot on; lots of people are not hardened criminals, but have moral foundation shaky enough to try to pull something when the opportunity presents itself.

BuddhaRhubarb

I think the some person in the postal system lost the parcel (slid down behind a seat/behind a machine, whatever) and just reinserted it in to the delivery stream it (damaged, because it was crushed behind the seat or stepped on because it was on the floor, or whatever) when it was found, and it was then delivered.

This happens once in a while even when you use UPS. 

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

This is a great motto for dealing with any postal or delivery company, it may even be written on the side of Purolater vans, or at least it should be.
:p

MadImmortalMan

The fact that she was willing to accept a partial refund is extremely suspect. If she got nothing, she'd want her money back. All of it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2010, 01:08:59 PM
The fact that she was willing to accept a partial refund is extremely suspect. If she got nothing, she'd want her money back. All of it.

yeah this is the one thing that marks her the most as a suspect. but I guess there's no real proof.
:p

stjaba

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2010, 01:08:59 PM

Yeah that struck me as a little suspicious too.

I did a Google search for her email, and the only hits were posts on pageant websites that seemed geared to five year old girls.  :yuk: http://www.voy.com/53332/

I also put her address in Google maps, and it turns out she lives in some generic Levittown-like suburb in Long Island. It would have been so embarrassing to be scammed by a suburban pageant mom.  :lmfao:

Lucidor

Perhaps there was a hidden agenda to her shenanigans?

Barrister

Defense lawyers frequently like to claim conspiracy or malice against their client when the slightest thing goes wrong in an investigation.  I always want to say - you've dealed with government before - we couldn't pull off a conspiracy against your client if we tried!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2010, 06:37:29 AM
how would a postman know how valuable this thing is? To a typical person its just a weird little book.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Louis Vuitton items are expensive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.