News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baltic froze over

Started by Martim Silva, March 04, 2010, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Don't remember it ever getting this bad before...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100304/ts_afp/swedenfinlandshippingweatherstorm

Around 50 ships, including large ferries carrying thousands, were stuck in the ice in the Baltic Sea Thursday and many were not likely to be freed for hours, Swedish maritime authorities said.

"Around 50 commercial vessels are waiting for help from ice breakers (and) we have had as many as six large passenger ferries stuck, but have managed to free two of them," Johny Lindvall of the Swedish Maritime Administration's ice breaker unit told AFP.

Caliga

It got up to about 12 C here today. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

You know why? Man made global warming.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

When I went to Riga 2 weeks ago it was pretty bad. Out of the window it looked like we were in some sort of giant train and just travelling over white land, no sea. At one point we got stuck in the ice too but we managed to break free and were only delayed a little.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Tamas

We need to stop ice cap melting ASAP

Neil

I approve of these changes.  Absolutely fascinating.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

What I'm reading is that this is normal winter conditions, its just the last 10 years have been really warm.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 04, 2010, 10:11:34 PM

Actually, it's a pretty retarded response, since pretty much every single article or a documentary I watched about global warming mentioned that a temperature drop in Northern Europe is one of the most likely results (due to the Gulfstrom cooling down from the water released from melting icecaps). The second most commonly referred result is a general increase in weather volatility and "violence" of weather phenomenons.

Only a complete idiot or someone who has been living under a rock for the last 20 years would still think that global warming means "it's going to be warmer everywhere".

Syt

Dear god! When will the exchange of salt and furs between Lübeck and Novgorod resume?  :cry:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 05, 2010, 09:18:28 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 04, 2010, 10:11:34 PM

Actually, it's a pretty retarded response, since pretty much every single article or a documentary I watched about global warming mentioned that a temperature drop in Northern Europe is one of the most likely results (due to the Gulfstrom cooling down from the water released from melting icecaps). The second most commonly referred result is a general increase in weather volatility and "violence" of weather phenomenons.

Only a complete idiot or someone who has been living under a rock for the last 20 years would still think that global warming means "it's going to be warmer everywhere".

And if one reads anything else than gay magazines, one knows that the shrill over the whole man made global warming thing has reached such ridicoulous proportions in the last couple of years, that having cheap shots (which everyone but you can recognize) at it has become fun.

KRonn

Well, no surprise I guess. It has been said by many Americans that health care legislation will pass when Hell freezes over.  Since legislation appears close to passing....

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom