French "Television Surveillance Authority" to whack French channels doing a poor

Started by Eochaid, March 11, 2010, 07:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eochaid

Basically the CSA now has a mandate to verify the quality and accuracy of news programmes. This does not mean channels and journalists can't give their opinion, but the CSA will check that what they present as fact is actually true.

If a channel is caught fucking up, they have to make public amends on air, explaining what the error was and correcting it.

Two channels have been caught red-handed so far.

TF1 has been hit three times:

• Once for reporting a muslim march in France segragated men and women (it wasn't)
  • Once for mixing up pictures in a news bit about some serial killer (wrong guy :D)
  • Once for using a picture of a chock-full AssemblĂ©e Nationale voting a law when in fact only about 20 MPs attended

Canal+ used an Internet pastiche as a factual document illustrating how little-loved Sarkozy is abroad.

What do you think?

Kevin
It's been a while

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Eochaid on March 11, 2010, 07:36:29 AM
What do you think?
I think that, if french politicians want to empower their bureaucrats to monitor someone for truth telling, they should empower them to watch the politicians.

Better to save everyone the time and money of such a silly concept, but I am not sure the French people want the better solution.

In the US, this wouldn't fly, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Seems kind of like a watch dog group on the news reporting, but run by the government.

Hmm... if this at some point applies to the internet then of course it won't be possible!

Crazy_Ivan80

Ah, so how long before the belgian frenchies import this sillyness to belgium?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Caliga

:rolleyes:

I guess it's been too long since France has been conquered and the people are getting bored and restless or something. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2010, 01:16:00 PM
:rolleyes:

I guess it's been too long since France has been conquered

Only because nobody's bothered to invade recently.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.