News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stupid old men shouldn't drive

Started by Valdemar, March 02, 2010, 03:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

:mad:

Last friday my wife came driving along a well traveled street in our local town. it was dark, after 5, and traffic was rush hour home bound the opposite way.

She turned left at the light of an intersection and started the low uphill towards home, the on coming traffic was stalled in line waiting for the lights in the intersection to change in their favour

WHAM. From a small side street, comes a an elderly man trying to go straight across. My wife brakes, she isn't going very fast, but she still hits his rear end at an angle as he almost makes it across.

Pulingto the curve he accepts all fault (as he should, coming from the side street he has cross an equivalent to full stop unto the larger road.) Witnesses ensure everyone is OK, she takes name and number and heads home.

The car, our belowed Golf GTI 95 has a huge dent in the bumber, front light is smashed, helmet is buckling slightly, front grille thrashed :(

In daylight it looks even worse. Got a call from the mechanic... first estimate before insurance has seen it, 24K... if the car is damaged for more than 65% they write it off :( so it will be touch and go.

With that luck the next thing will be the old man contest his responsibility, despite accepting full fault at the time :( My wife didn't get names or phone numbers from the witnesses :(

*crosses fingers*

V

The Larch

24k in damages? That's like buying a new car. Start browsing for new models.

Valdemar

Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 04:23:11 AM

This is Denmark, the car is worth 50K, plus the 7+K spent in repairs just recently to bring it fully up to form :(

V

The Larch

Quote from: Valdemar on March 02, 2010, 04:31:15 AM

This is Denmark, the car is worth 50K, plus the 7+K spent in repairs just recently to bring it fully up to form :(

V

In which currency are we speaking? I had $/€ in mind.

Cecil

Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 04:33:17 AM

V

Repairs worth 25k euro would mean the car have been reduced to atoms.

The Larch

Quote from: Cecil on March 02, 2010, 04:43:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 04:33:17 AM

V

Repairs worth 25k euro would mean the car have been reduced to atoms.

I knew V was Scandinavian, prices are crazy over there, specially with cars.

Valdemar

Its in Danish Kr. Thats 7.6 or so to the Euro, making it roughly 3K euros

In Denmark the registry tax on cars is 180% making used cars equally expensive

V

The Larch

Well, that's something else. How old is the car?

And that tax is crazy, can't you register it somewhere else and just take it to Denmark?

Valdemar

Quote from: Valdemar on March 02, 2010, 03:36:07 AM
The car, our belowed Golf GTI 95

And no, because they'll just tax the import proportionally so the import will cost roughly the same.

There are loopholes for used cars in the high end of the price range, cause extras are written of quicker than the actual car, so finding a highend German car with loads of extras and then importing it can save some money..

V

Caliga

1995?  That's ancient.  Dude did you a favor.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Stupid old men shouldn't drive indeed.
Men under 25 get a lot of crap from insurance companies and all the blame for accidents...but its usually OAPs that are to blame.
██████
██████
██████

Valdemar

Quote from: Caliga on March 02, 2010, 06:02:45 AM
1995?  That's ancient.  Dude did you a favor.  :cool:

Thats the whole point... a 1995 GTI is 115 HP to 1000 kg or so... like driving a gokart compared to modern cars..

The modern equivalent is expensive and over done

V

EDIT, and 1995 old car is alot of value for money, except in a situation like this where the trade value is far below the drivng value :(

Grey Fox

I have a Sunfire 1996, wanna trade?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 05:34:06 AMAnd that tax is crazy, can't you register it somewhere else and just take it to Denmark?

:lol:  "No, officer, this is my mother's car. From New Hampshire."

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2010, 06:58:22 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 05:34:06 AMAnd that tax is crazy, can't you register it somewhere else and just take it to Denmark?

:lol:  "No, officer, this is my mother's car. From New Hampshire."

Surely there must be some EU regulation that should allow for that.  :P