News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

One of those space strategy games

Started by Razgovory, March 02, 2010, 01:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I haven't played a space strategy game for a long time.  The 4X types.  I mean over ten years long time.  There was one everyone was talking about a few years back but I can't remember it.  Any suggestions of what I should get?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

What kind of 4X are you looking for? There's GalCiv2+Expansions (which I like a lot), Sword of the Stars (which others like a lot), Armada 2526 (from a Total War developer), Aurora (hyperdetailed and dwarf fortress-ish, but free), and Distant Worlds, billed as sort of an EU in space, is just around the corner.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

I daresay Gal Civ is the one everyone was talking about a coupla years ago.  I didn't care for it much, but was in a definite minority.

Sins of a Solar Empire was maybe a year ago, and i think there the consensus was with me:  not worth the effort.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Galactic civilizations is what I think you're talking about, and it's my favorite game ever (because of it's extremely good A.i.)

Sins of a Solar Empire is faster paced than most 4x games but It's still good, it's a lot like an RTS.

Razgovory

Should I get the Gal Civ I or Gal Civ II?  Is there much difference?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

chipwich

The complete version of Galciv 2 with both expansions.

These is no reason to get galciv1.

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on March 02, 2010, 05:00:00 PM
The complete version of Galciv 2 with both expansions.

These is no reason to get galciv1.

Agreed.

I Killed Kenny

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2010, 01:06:09 PM
I daresay Gal Civ is the one everyone was talking about a coupla years ago.  I didn't care for it much, but was in a definite minority.

Me too. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lucidor

Razgovory

Sins of a Solar Empire was maybe a year ago, and i think there the consensus was with me:  not worth the effort.

What didn't you like about it?  I downloaded the demo.  It's a bit bare bones.  Not alot of bells and whistles.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2010, 10:09:05 PM

What didn't you like about it?  I downloaded the demo.  It's a bit bare bones.  Not alot of bells and whistles.
To which game are you referring?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Neil

A friend and I play Sins over his LAN on a pretty regular basis.  We have had quite a good time with it, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.